Maintenace Fail [ incorrect settings: ''ARITHABORT'']

• I have sql server 2005 sp2, I am running maintenance wizard plann for (Re-building indexes, re-oraganize index, update statistic, check database integrity , log backup and database back up)

This is the error I get, how can I fix this?

Executing the query "UPDATE STATISTICS [dbo].[CaseNum]

WITH FULLSCAN

" failed with the following error: "SELECT failed because the following SET options have incorrect settings: 'ARITHABORT'. Verify that SET options are correct for use with indexed views and/or indexes on computed columns and/or query notifications and/or xml data type methods.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

• You can see the ARITHABORT setting for your database by right clicking over db name -> script db; probably it is set to off. Check with BOL if, by changing the setting to ON, this would not affect your app. Just change it to ON using ALTER DATABASE statement. The message could appear if your db is in compatibility mode of 80, or you've got either a db or server DDL trigger.

Hope this helps.

• Do you have any computed columns in the database. This kind of error occurs if there is one so and if you use maint plan for reindexing.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• No I dont have any computed columns.

• Based upon the error, I would look at the CaseNum table.  Is it actually an indexed view instead of a table?  Does an indexed view reference the table?  Are there computed columns or columns of the xml data type?

Regards,
    Rubes

• I am almost sure that we dont have views. One more thing same database on different server worked fine with all maintenance in place. I restored that database from 32bit server to 64bit server with SP2. Now on new server I cannot make the maintenance wizard work.

• Run an sp_help on CaseNum and post the results here.

Regards,
    Rubes

• Could yo post the table details of CaseNum it lloks there is a computed column in the table or view.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP

• also could you run this query against the database andd post the result.

select

* from syscolumns where iscomputed = 1

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP

• I ran

select * from syscolumns where iscomputed = 1

zero record found

I ran sp_help casenum and I did not find any computed columns.

what could be wrong? I am running update statistic and reindexing job as part of maintenance for all database. will it execute maintenance plan on other tables and databases, or it will stop at the error?

• Bhavin,

If you took the time to run sp_help, take the time to post the results.  As indicated by the error message you submitted, it *could* be an issue with computed columns but it could be something else as well.  If you do that, I am confident that someone on this forum will find answer for your dilemma.

Regards,
    Rubes

• Can you post the metadata of the CaseNum table?

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP

• Please check this?

GO

/****** Object:  Table [dbo].[CaseNum]   SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[CaseNum](

[casenum] [bigint] NOT NULL,

[warrRegNum] [varchar](9) NOT NULL,

[LName] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,

[FName] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,

[Address1] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,

[Address2] [varchar](50) NULL,

[City] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,

[State] [char](2) NOT NULL,

[Zip] [char](5) NOT NULL,

[Phone] [char](12) NOT NULL,

[Fax] [char](12) NULL,

[Email] [varchar](50) NULL,

[comments] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,

[status] [varchar](5) NOT NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_CaseNum] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[casenum] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

RESULT OF sp_help Casenum

Name Owner Type Created_datetime

CaseNum dbo user table 2005-12-22 14:37:57.293

Column_name Type Computed Length Prec Scale Nullable TrimTrailingBlanks FixedLenNullInSource Collation

casenum bigint no 8 no (n/a) (n/a) NULL

warrRegNum varchar no 9 no no no SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

LName varchar no 50 no no no SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

FName varchar no 50 no no no SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Address1 varchar no 50 no no no SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Address2 varchar no 50 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

City varchar no 50 no no no SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

State char no 2 no no no SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Zip char no 5 no no no SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Phone char no 12 no no no SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Fax char no 12 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Email varchar no 50 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

comments varchar no 50 no no no SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

status varchar no 5 no no no SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Identity Seed Increment Not For Replication

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------- --------------------------------------- -------------------

No identity column defined. NULL NULL NULL

RowGuidCol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No rowguidcol column defined.

Data_located_on_filegroup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRIMARY

index_name index_description index_keys

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PK_CaseNum clustered, unique, primary key located on PRIMARY casenum

constraint_type constraint_name delete_action update_action status_enabled status_for_replication constraint_keys

PRIMARY KEY (clustered) PK_CaseNum (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) casenum

No foreign keys reference table 'casenum', or you do not have permissions on referencing tables.

No views with schema binding reference table 'casenum'.

• Try to run "UPDATE STATISTICS [dbo].[CaseNum]

WITH FULLSCAN" manually.

Regards,
    Rubes

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply