mail notifications failing

• When I send a test message, I fill in the TO: field with my email, which is also the SMTP email that I set up. It's just not automatically populated and I didn't know if it was supposed to be.

The Profile in the test message is SQLAlerts, which is the profile I created.

So if I put in an email in the TO: field, it works.

• Good. Let's go to that Jobs Failure operator, right click and look at the Email name: . Type this same name in the To: box of the Send Test Email from 'server' . Does the recipient receive the message?

R.,

Ed

• I right clicked on the Jobs Failure operator and went to properties and copied the email address from there and went back to Database Mail and pasted that email address into the TO: field and it worked.

It's my email address.

• Good. Right click the test job, click job history and look to see what is indicated in the 'Operator Emailed' column. Also look in the Message column for an indication what the job did.

R.,

Ed

• The test job step was successful, but the job overall failed because it could not sent out the email. The Operator column is blank.

NOTE: Failed to notify 'Jobs Failure' via email.

• I apologize adams... got called for other duties. Hmmm, lets take a closer look at the properties of the job. Is the owner of the Job the same account as the service account running the SQL Server Agent... verify this in the SQL Server Configuration manager.

R.,

Ed

• thanks Maine,

i have resolved the problems i was having. sorry for the extremely late acknowledgement.

the notification mail just got to my inbox 3 days ago!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!![font="Comic Sans MS"]:cool:[/font]

• No apologies neccessary.

To answer the question, no the owner is different. I am the owner of the job and there is a different service account I setup that runs SQL Server Agent. So I created an identical test job with the service account as the owner, but I still get the same error message when it gets to the point of sending out the email.

• I've got the same problem folks - any joy ?

• I never got mine to work.

When I first set it up, it was working fine for months, then one day after an error with integration, I noticed I didn't get an email. I haven't gotten an email since. As far as I can tell, I have all the settings correctly applied. I just don't know.

• Check with your IT to see if they have the port open for Database mail on the server os level.

• you need to make sure the mail profile is enabled in the SQL server agent properties.

right click SQL server agent -> 'properties'

select 'Alert system' then check 'Enable mail profile' under 'mail session' then restart the SQL server agent service.

hope that helps, Ed.

bimpe_d,

I see that Ed has not replied to your post yet. If you are still battling go to this website. That is how I set my database mail up and it works together with the solution to this post.

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1438

Thanks for the solution! You won't believe how I scanned the internet for a solution to this problem. Sorry, I forgot the name of the person who posted it. ;););););)

Guys, if you followed these instructions then maybe you should find out if the ports are open because it definitely worked for me. I used my own e-mail to receive e-mails from the database.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Thanks for the replies folks.

I think the ports must be open because I can receive the test emails

I generate using "Database Mail | Send Test E-mail" in Management Studio.

• If you followed the steps in the link I provide in a previous post and the solution that Jason Deyalson provided in a previous post (both in this thread) then it has to work!:cool::cool::cool:

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• I followed your instructions and it does not work. No one has been able to tell me why I can send a test email, but still not have the alert work.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply