Lots of inserts? Part I

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Lots of inserts? Part I

Kenneth FisherI was once offered a wizards hat but it got in the way of my dunce cap.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/[/url]Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com[/url]

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Nice, thanks Kenneth. I was doubtful when I saw the begin tran and only saw commit. Am I wrong by saying that is the reason for the 99 open transactions? I have never seen anybody use it like that before.

Manie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I am happy because I choose to be happy.
    I just love my job!!!

• Waiting for commiting all transactions, in reality, the table is empty for the other connections.

• I prefer to use "SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS ON"

Only one transaction on first I/O and one commit.

SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS ON

INSERT INTO tbl VALUES

( REPLICATE('a',5000) )

GO 100

COMMIT

GO

print @@trancount

• I tested the COMMIT by adding COMMIT TRAN and still had 99 open transactions so I take it the GO 100 must be it and I also have never had any use for that. How would a person then make sure that each row/transaction has been committed? This is the reason why I like QotD so much because I learn things that I have never done or thought of doing before.:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Manie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I just love my job!!!

• Nice little question on Batch Separators and Transactions.

Cheers Kenneth!

• Great question! That's a neat little trick I need to remember. Never have seen that before and I'm sure it will come in useful.

• Really nice question.

And of-course nicely explain the answer.

• I ran the script and then this

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tbl

Guess what number it returned? (HINT - an integer between 99 and 101)

• Thanks Kenneth

I have used GO separator recursion logic for deleting batches/loading dummy data in development test environments in one time tasks. Good reminder to be careful with your transactions always!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roshan Joe

Jeff Moden -Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• edwardwill (7/27/2016)

I ran the script and then this

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tbl

Not sure whether you're saying you're surprised at that? If you run your query from a separate connection, something quite different will happen.

John

• John Mitchell-245523 (7/27/2016)

edwardwill (7/27/2016)

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tbl

Not sure whether you're saying you're surprised at that? If you run your query from a separate connection, something quite different will happen.

John

Merely demonstrating on a public forum the depth of my ignorance! I will crawl away in shame now.

• edwardwill (7/27/2016)

John Mitchell-245523 (7/27/2016)

edwardwill (7/27/2016)

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tbl

John

Merely demonstrating on a public forum the depth of my ignorance! I will crawl away in shame now.

No shame. Better a silly question than a silly mistake!

John

• Edward,

Confusius said: Ask a question and be a fool for a moment rather than not asking and remain a fool forever!

Manie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I just love my job!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply