Lost SQL Server Registration during pass change

• I am running XP and this seems to be an XP related problem. I am curious if anyone has found a fix yet. I am running sql server 2000 client tools on my machine. Whenever XP has me change my password, I loose all the servers which were registered in Enterprise manager. Any ideas?

Thanks 🙂

• Running XP Pro, using Domain (AD Native mode) and no issues changing passwords. Do it every 30 days (4 so far).

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Running XP Pro as well, domain user and no problems changing my password. Just to make sure, you aren't referring to servers running on your own computer and in your login name?

--

Chris Hedgate @ Apptus Technologies (http://www.apptus.se)

http://www.sql.nu

Edited by - chrhedga on 10/11/2002 02:24:03 AM

• The servers are not running on my own machine. The company I am working for uses NT Authentication. Here is a posting on google groups which I ran into. This person put in a little more research:

The XP client PCs on our network lose their MS SQL Enterprise Manager

registered servers when the user's network password is changed. As an

initial attempt to fix, I installed XP SP1 to no avail. The keys still

exist in the PC's registry after the password change under:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL

Server\80\Tools\SQLEW\Registered Servers X]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL

Server\80\Tools\SQLEW\Registered Servers X\SQL Server Group]

"(local)"=hex:01,00,...

"SERVER1"=hex:01,00...

However, the servers do not show in SEM. Saving the keys and restoring will

not help, since they are already there. The user's are using Windows

Authentication to an NT domain to register, so it doesn't seem like the

password should be written to the registry. So far, each PC has had to

re-register at password change time.

Looking at the keys' values (not shown above) I can see that all the old

keys have the same data in the first 108 bytes and then change, however the

old keys are different from the new keys starting in byte 25 for 16 bytes.

Starting at byte 49 for about 48 bytes all the keys spell SQL Server

Registration (with 2 bytes per character - unicode(?)). Copying the new 16

to the old keys bytes did not help.

• having same problem, has anyone found a solution yet.  Not a problem just very very annoying.

Curtis Smith
    SQL Server DBA
    Well in worked in Theory ...

• Check this MS article

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323280

• I'm not sure this is a real solution since I found this by accident...but it worked for me and one of my fellow employees... 

I had to change my network password so I went into Enterprise Manager to copy down all of the servers that I had registered and I happened to leave Enterprise Manager open while I changed my password.  After changing the password, I closed Enterprise Manager and reopened it to register my servers but the servers were still there.  I was going to document this so I tried changing my password again with Enterprise Manager closed, but it still saved the servers. 

Yesterday, another employee changed their password and lost their registrations.  I had him change his password back to the old value (which has been the way I've gotten around this in the past) and confirmed the servers came back.  He left Enterprise Manager open and changed his password again...servers are still there.

Like I said...I found this by accident and I don't know if it is reliable for all or whether it is something perticular to our machines here, but I hope it works for everyone because it is a real pain to register everything over again.

Sam

• Newbie's solution works.  This is a NT4 domain issue. If you are using AD, then there shouldn't be a problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323280

This basically says to have this regkey:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers\df9d8cd0-1501-11d1-8c7a-00c04fc297eb]

"MasterKeyLegacyNt4Domain"=dword:00000001

Paste that into a text doc with the .reg extension and import it.

Russ
    "I'm a DBA because they haven't developed a 12 step program yet."

• I just installed the 2000 client tools on my XP Prof workstation.

Discovery:

When I try the "New Server Registration" and view the "Active Servers" on the network, there are none to be found.

Who else has experienced this problem?

What post installation checks should I look into to relsolve this situation?

Thanks

• Leaving Enterprise Manager on worked for me.

When I changed my password last time, I lost all sql server registration. This time I left EM on and changed password. I still see all my registered servers. It worked for me....yahoo......:D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply