Lost Certificate and Master Key

• Hi ROHIT,

One thing you need to do is specify the IDENTITY_VALUE and KEY_SOURCE options in your CREATE SYMMETRIC KEY statement. By not specifying these SQL Server generated a random GUID and used random key material to generate your symmetric key. You can't export or backup a symmetric key, so the only way to ensure you generate the exact same symmetric key in two different databases is to specify these two options, and then run the exact same CREATE SYMMETRIC KEY statement with the same IDENTITY_VALUE and KEY_SOURCE options/values.

Thanks

Mike C

• Thanks yes i tried that as well but no luck ...

• ROHIT KAPOOR (9/9/2009)

Thanks yes i tried that as well but no luck ...

It's tempting to say "sorry it didn't work out, good luck", but if you'd be willing to post the exact code you ran that failed I would be willing to attempt to reproduce your issue on my servers. I've already run my own tests locally and was able to encrypt data on one server and decrypt it by re-creating the exact same symmetric key (on two other servers). At this point since we seem to have conflicting results, the next step would be to review the process you used to get to your results.

Thanks

Michael

• To view this can in my answer. here

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply