Lost access to database

• Greetings to the well of knowledge...

OK, I'm really stumped here.

I have an Access 2010 front end that uses SQL Server on a separate server for the back end. Multiple users have their own copy of the front end on their local workstations. Everything has been running swimmingly for the past two years.

Today, no one can get in: Connection error SQL Server Error 5 followed by SQL Server Error 17.

I have checked all of the logins in Security and checked permissions on the actual MDF files themselves.

I then copied the Access front end onto the server hosting the SQL instance. The front end connected with DB and ran with no errors.

DNS is fine.

Where else should I be looking to resolve this error?

Users can access the server itself natively and can map drive to it.

Regards,

Ken

• the full error message would help; my first google for SQL server error 17 seems to imply

SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

i'd just assume it's time to check the basics:

is the SQL Server service actually running? not whether you can see the server/map drives, but the service itself.

is the SQL browser service running? if it's not running and you are connecting to an instance(ie [myserver\SQL2008]), that could explain it.

was there any changes, like network changes, server name changes, new firewall rules that someone added?

could someone have changed the listening port that SQL server runs on?

could someone have fiddled with SQL configuration manager,a nd changed whether SQL listens to TCP/IP?

could someone have toggled the server property to accept remote connections,and turned that off?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell (2/23/2015)

the full error message would help; my first google for SQL server error 17 seems to imply

SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

i'd just assume it's time to check the basics:

is the SQL Server service actually running? not whether you can see the server/map drives, but the service itself.

is the SQL browser service running? if it's not running and you are connecting to an instance(ie [myserver\SQL2008]), that could explain it.

was there any changes, like network changes, server name changes, new firewall rules that someone added?

could someone have changed the listening port that SQL server runs on?

could someone have fiddled with SQL configuration manager,a nd changed whether SQL listens to TCP/IP?

could someone have toggled the server property to accept remote connections,and turned that off?

The full error message was posted as an attachment to original message. All the details are there.

All of the appropriate services are running. There were no changes to the environment other than the usual Windows updates (this app has been running just fine for two years).

Checked all of the obvious areas for change as you suggested and nothing appears out of the ordinary.

• you mention windows update - has SQL been restarted as a result of updates, and a new port has been picked up?

Check the port number and add it to your connection strings.

• SQLAssAS (2/23/2015)

you mention windows update - has SQL been restarted as a result of updates, and a new port has been picked up?

Check the port number and add it to your connection strings.

Yes, but that happened before the errors started happening.

• I think I may be over the hurdle on this.

Digging deep down into the SQL Network Configuration, I noticed that Named Pipes was not enabled. Once I enabled this, I got a different error when I launched the Access front end (a logon timeout) but then I clicked OK at the logon prompt and voila...up and running. After that initial timeout, all subsequent times I launched the Access front, it started with no errors.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply