Losing Posts When Typing

• Hi,

Apologies if this has been posted before. Has anyone else noticed that if you take more than ~20 mins typing a reply to a post-something that frequently happens to me as i get called away a lot... oh alright it's 'cause i can only type with one finger - when you post the reply it simply opens a new reply window rather than posting what you have written. I've started to use Word after losing a couple of posts but it is a little frustrating. Would this be something to do with a session cookie timeout? Is it just me??

Thanks

K.

• I don't know if it has to do with the time, but I have experienced it also.  I know several other folks have also complained about the problem inside various posts.  I think it is a bug in the software that runs this site and something that is known but doesn't have a fix yet.  The way I do it now is just before hitting the post button I do a CTRL-A and CTRL-C just to insure I have it in memory in the event it doesn't post. 

I have not noticed the problem to much lately, but I think it is just waiting to snag me after I've been lulled into a sense of complacency.

James.

• mm.. i think this has happened to me before which is maybe why i use notepad or QA to write my reply first, for long posts of course

Everything you can imagine is real.

• Next time you lose the post, click on the Back button. That should take you back to what you typed, highlight it (Ctrl A) and copy it (Ctrl C) then reopen the thread and paste it in (Ctrl V).

This works even when you get the Access Denied window.

-SQLBill

• Back button has never worked for me

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• The back button doesn't usually work. That's because the site recycles every 4 hours or so because of a memory leak in this ASP.NET 1.1 forum software. We didn't have a good solution, and embarked upon a rewrite of the entire site, which seems to be more stable. Should go into beta soon.

If you type more than 5 minutes, maybe more than 1 , CTRL-A, CTRL-C to save your work. I do it often.

And I'm sorry for the hassles. We, me especially, really appreciate the help you give others and we hope to have this fixed soon.

• Interestingly, the default session state timeout is 20 minutes in IIS.    Anyway it doesn't take too many oopses to get used to the copy paste method.

• Yeah, the design of the forums is bad. Session stuff is stored in the page, which messes up the submit.

• Fortunately the content is worth the minor inconveniences.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply