looping through a dataset

• I am quite new to integration services, and have to setup a package that loops through records with a certain status, execute a procedure, and update the status afterwards.

Database in question is a SQLserver2005 type database.

I have the following :

a SQL task with in the select statement the query to retrieve all affected records. (SELECT message_number from table where status = x)

Result set is set to 'full result set', and the result set is assigned to a variable of the type 'object' (let's call it 'message_numbers' )

2. a 'for each container', set to a 'for each ADO enumerator' collection, and assigned to that variable'message_numbers'

3. a SQL task in that for each container that will execute my procedure.

This procedure asks for an input parameter called message_number, which i have to retrieve out of the record that is selected at that moment.

question 1 is : how do i do that?

Question 2 is : are there maybe better ways to do this?

• How many records are we talking about here (being returned from your SELECT statement)? If it's a relatively small number, I would be tempted just to do this in a stored procedure and use SQL Agent to run the sp as often as you wanted.

With an sp, you could insert the records with the correct status into a table variable, and loop through the table variable, running an exec against each record.

Can't think of a reason to do this in SSIS, unless it's what you are more familiar with.

Something like this:

-- create variables

DECLARE @NumberOfRecords int,

@Counter int,

@Message_Number int;

-- create a table variable to store the records

DECLARE @ToBeProcessed TABLE

(

RowID int IDENTITY (1,1),

Message_Number int

)

-- populate the table variable with the records to be processed

INSERT INTO @ToBeProcessed

SELECT message_number from table where status = x

-- find the number of records

SET @NumberOfRecords = (SELECT count(*) from @ToBeProcessed)

SET @Counter = 0

-- loop through the records

WHILE @Counter <= @NumberOfRecords

BEGIN

SET @Message_Number = (SELECT Message_Number from @ToBeProcessed WHERE RowID = @Counter)

EXEC spTheDoesTheProcessing @Message_Number

SET @Counter = @Counter + 1

END

• The number of records varies.

But i've solved it by making the variable mapping go to a string type, instead of a integer type

(which sounds actually totally counter logical, because the values returned are integer values)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply