Looking for Step by Step Instructions for SQL Server Loop using Powershell

• Hi Everyone!

Does anyone have a good link with instructions to Query a list of servers in a table and put the results in a table?

I created a table for the server connection strings.

I created a table to store the results.

I have the SQL query to get the information.

I just don't know how to make it work with PS. This is new to me. i can get other information. But i've tried a few queries i found online and it is not working for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

SELECTAGC.name as AvailabilityGroup, RCS.replica_server_name ServerName, ARS.role_desc as Role, AGL.dns_name as ListenerNameFROM sys.availability_groups_cluster AS AGCINNER JOIN sys.dm_hadr_availability_replica_cluster_states AS RCS ON RCS.group_id = AGC.group_idINNER JOIN sys.dm_hadr_availability_replica_states AS ARS ON ARS.replica_id = RCS.replica_idINNER JOIN sys.availability_group_listeners AS AGL ON AGL.group_id = ARS.group_id

¤ §unshine ¤

• sunshine-587009 wrote:

I created a table for the server connection strings. 

Does that table contain login names and passwords?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• here is an older example i used to use, that assumes you have a list of server sin Central Management Servers

for each server, i may run a query per server, or a query per database.

see if this makes any sense for you:

updated, remov

###################################################################################################
    ## Purpose: run one Query, potentially on each database and produce combined results
    ###################################################################################################
    ## CMS setup
    $CMSSource = "CentralManagementServer\InstanceName"
    $cmsQuery = @"
    SELECT TOP 20
    srvz.server_name AS ServerName,[grpz].[name] As GroupName
    FROM msdb.dbo.sysmanagement_shared_registered_servers srvz
    INNER JOIN msdb.dbo.[sysmanagement_shared_server_groups] grpz
    ON srvz.[server_group_id] = [grpz].[server_group_id]
    WHERE [grpz].[name] LIKE'[_]%[_]Apps'
    "@
    ## Query Setup make sure you actually include @@SERVERNAME and db_name() in your results.
    $ExecuteOnEachDB = $true;
    $SQLQuery = @"
    ; SELECT
    AGC.name as AvailabilityGroup,
    RCS.replica_server_name ServerName,
    ARS.role_desc as Role,
    AGL.dns_name as ListenerName
    FROM sys.availability_groups_cluster AS AGC
    INNER JOIN sys.dm_hadr_availability_replica_cluster_states AS RCS
    ON RCS.group_id = AGC.group_id
    INNER JOIN sys.dm_hadr_availability_replica_states AS ARS
    ON ARS.replica_id = RCS.replica_id
    INNER JOIN sys.availability_group_listeners AS AGL
    ON AGL.group_id = ARS.group_id
    "@
    ## The Work
    $AllServers = Invoke-SQLCMD -Query $cmsQuery -ServerInstance $CMSSource
    $FinalResults = New-Object System.Data.DataTable 'Results'
    $sb = [System.Text.StringBuilder]::new();
    foreach ($Server in $AllServers)
    {
    $Results = (Invoke-SQLCMD -Query $SQLQuery -ServerInstance $Server.ServerName -OutputAs DataTables)
    foreach($DataRow in $Results)
    {
    $sb.Append($Server.ServerName)|Out-Null;$sb.Append('|')|Out-Null;
    $sb.Append($DataRow.AvailabilityGroup)|Out-Null;$sb.Append('|')|Out-Null;
    $sb.Append($DataRow.ServerName)|Out-Null;$sb.Append('|')|Out-Null;
    $sb.Append($DataRow.Role)|Out-Null;$sb.Append('|')|Out-Null;
    $sb.Append($DataRow.ListenerName)|Out-Null;$sb.Append('|')|Out-Null;
    $sb.AppendLine('')|Out-Null
    }
    } #foreach
    ## The Results
    $sb.ToString() | Out-GridView

ed the logic with DataTable.Merge, as it depends on some libraries and PowerShell Version

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Lowell.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Lowell.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Lowell. Reason: updated to working tested code with query provided

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• holy crap the new format of the website plays holy hell with code i took a lot of time to comment well and make sharp looking.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Heh... that's what you get for posting PowerShell on an SQL Forum. 😀 😀 😀

The problem is very likely the use of both carriage return and line feed (newline) from whatever you did the copy and past to.  My recommendation would be to copy it to Word and replace and double paragraph marks with single marks and then replace those (^p) with single line terminators (^l that's a lower-case "L").

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• No login codes or passwords.

¤ §unshine ¤

• Thank you! I will try this out today!

¤ §unshine ¤

• Hi!

I'm no really sure I am doing this correctly. I am not running anything by database and already have an existing table. The first one attached is what I tried to run but it is not working.I'm not sure where to define the existing table. The 2nd attachment works but only enters 1 row and some have more than 1 row. I also tried to add your cms query to run on all servers to the 2nd one, but no cigar on that one either. 🙁

¤ §unshine ¤

• sunshine-587009 wrote:

Hi! I'm no really sure I am doing this correctly. I am not running anything by database and already have an existing table. The first one attached is what I tried to run but it is not working.I'm not sure where to define the existing table. The 2nd attachment works but only enters 1 row and some have more than 1 row. I also tried to add your cms query to run on all servers to the 2nd one, but no cigar on that one either. 🙁

I'm not seeing the attachments you speak of.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I updated my original code sample with one I have just tested. it outputs data the way i would expect now.

I am using a stringBuilder instead of a DataTable to contain the results.

your latest post did not have enough information, remember we don't sit at the desk next to you, so we need everything you can provide to help debug:

for example, providing exact error messages, instead of saying it did not work, etc. goes a long way to getting great help here.

Lowell

• My apologies. I will send as soon as i can. i did come a bit closer with different parts i've found here and online. I'll post what i have soon.

¤ §unshine ¤

• Good afternoon!

I was able to get the attached PS somewhat working. It does insert data into my table, however, gives me the below error messages.

Would you happen to know how to resolve? Thank you so much for your assistance.

Get-Member : You must specify an object for the Get-Member cmdlet.

At D:\FinalWorksWithErrors.ps1:51 char:29

+ $Properties = $SelectRows | Get-Member -MemberType Property | Select- ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : CloseError: (:) [Get-Member], InvalidOperationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoObjectInGetMember,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetMemberCommand

Invoke-Sqlcmd : Incorrect syntax near ')'.

At D:\WithErrors.ps1:64 char:1

+ Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance $CMSServer -Database $CMSDatabase -Quer ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Invoke-Sqlcmd], SqlPowerShellSqlExecutionException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : SqlError,Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.PowerShell.GetScriptCommand

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

¤ §unshine ¤

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply