Looking for a non-RBAR solution to an update w/ aggregates problem

• Hi folks,

What I am trying to do is update a table with the results of some aggregate functions in a non-RBAR fashion.

Currently what the code does is:

select Table1.ID as ID1, Count(Table2.ID as ID2) as MsgCount, Min(Table2.SomeDate) as StartDate, Max(Table2.SomeDate as EndDate)

from Table1 inner join Table2 on Table1.ID = Table2.Table1ID

then iterate through

update Table1 set MsgCount=@MsgCount, StartDate=@StartDate, EndDate=@EndDate where ID=@Table1ID

for each record...yuck!

What I would like to do is the following, except I can't since I can't use aggregates in an update "set":

update Table1

set MsgCount=Count(Table2.ID), StartDate=Min(Table2.SomeDate), EndDate=Max(Table2.SomeDate)

from Table1 inner join Table2 on Table1.ID=Table2.Table1ID

Can someone please suggest a good way to accomplish this in non-RBAR fashion?

Thanks in advance!

--
    Anye Mercy
    "Service Unavailable is not an Error" -- John, ENOM support
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

• does this accomplish what you are looking to do?

with MessageCount (

ID1,

MsgCount,

StartDate,

EndDate

) as (

select

Table1.ID as ID1,

Count(Table2.ID as ID2) as MsgCount,

Min(Table2.SomeDate) as StartDate,

Max(Table2.SomeDate as EndDate

)

from

Table1

inner join Table2

on (Table1.ID = Table2.Table1ID)

)

update Table1 set

MsgCount = mc.MsgCount,

StartDate = mc.StartDate,

EndDate = mc.EndDate

from

Table1 t1

inner join MessageCount mc

on (t1.ID = mc.ID1)

• Untested, but try this

with cte(ID,MsgCount,StartDate,EndDate) as (

select Table1ID,count(*),min(SomeDate),max(SomeDate)

from Table2

group by Table1ID)

update t1

set MsgCount=c.MsgCount, StartDate=c.StartDate, EndDate=c.EndDate

from Table1 t1

inner join cte c on t1.ID = c.ID

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • Visually it looks exactly like what I am trying to do, I will try it now.

Thanks!

--
    Anye Mercy
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

• Thanks again, this idea worked perfectly and gave me ideas for sprucing up some other processes as well. I had used CTEs for paging but not for bulk updates, so this turned on a lightbulb for me!

--
    Anye Mercy

• If you don't mind me asking, which version did you select?

• Lynn, I started with yours but found I actually had to add the "group by" that Mark had in his since the Table1.ID wasn't part of any aggregate. I don't think there is much other difference between the two samples, clearly you were both thinking along the same lines.

--
    Anye Mercy

• Looks like I deleted the group by from my original code as I cleaned it up for posting, sorry. But, yes, we were definately thinking along the same lines.

• Anye Mercy (4/21/2009)

Thanks again, this idea worked perfectly and gave me ideas for sprucing up some other processes as well. I had used CTEs for paging but not for bulk updates, so this turned on a lightbulb for me!

Glad we could help.

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply