Looking Back at 2021

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Looking Back at 2021

• Just reflecting on this article and also on 2021, I think that for those of you still raising families and pursuing careers, one of the best things you can do for your families long-term is to NOT promote the feelings of how bad things are/have been.  Keep this kind of thing out of conversations and focus on taking a can-do approach to whatever is required.   Train yourself and your families to meet the challenges with a positive outlook.

I remember when in the second/third grade a good friend caught polio, which was at that time one of the worst things for young people.  Ronnie spent about a year on his back in the old 'iron lung' contraptions in a hospital  (look online for some pictures of those horrible machines ).  His parents kept him up with schoolwork, and he graduated with our class on time.

And we all got our polio shots as soon as they were available.  There was no discussion about it, since it was also often a matter of life and death.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• 2021 was the year I was tired all the time - perhaps it was recovery from 2020.

In regards to SQL Server, auditing and compliance was front and center. I developed an ETL process that polls 200+ production servers across the on-prem and Azure enterprise, and then archives facts about security permissions and membership, DDL and DML modifications, and configuration settings. This database is then used to generate email/slack alerts, and the internal audit team can uses it to run reports.

We're also looking at SQL Server Big Data Clusters and how we could leverage it for things like data archival and offloading of reporting and data science queries from our data warehouse which is always under pressure.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell wrote:

2021 was the year I was tired all the time - perhaps it was recovery from 2020.

In regards to SQL Server, auditing and compliance was front and center. I developed an ETL process that polls 200+ production servers across the on-prem and Azure enterprise, and then archives facts about security permissions and membership, DDL and DML modifications, and configuration settings. This database is then used to generate email/slack alerts, and the internal audit team can uses it to run reports.

We're also looking at SQL Server Big Data Clusters and how we could leverage it for things like data archival and offloading of reporting and data science queries from our data warehouse which is always under pressure.

I understand the being tired all the time.  Before I retired 4/30/2010 I was in a DBA group where were had only about 60 instances onsite, no cloud servers, and maybe 15-20 remote dealer servers to which we did replication.  I had an ongoing project probably similar to yours that I was developing that would collect statistics and history from the instances and accumulate it on a local instance for the DBAs to use for checking history, modifications, errors, etc.  This was also my first use of ETL, so it was a learning experience as well as giving us valuable information in a centralized place.  Based on what it could have done, this was still in its infancy when I retired.  I wish you well with your efforts.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply