Long Path Names to Files on SQL Server Installation

• I'm getting a rule check fail "Long path names to files on SQL Server Installation media failed" when installing SQL 2012 Standard edition from a network share. What is the work around for this?

Thanks

• My understanding is that this is a check to be sure all files/paths are < 256 characters. Do you have long paths for the installation folder?

• cathy.baker (12/13/2013)

I'm getting a rule check fail "Long path names to files on SQL Server Installation media failed" when installing SQL 2012 Standard edition from a network share. What is the work around for this?

Thanks

i believe you can simply map a drive to the share,and install form that, instead of from the share with the long file name;;

here's gui instructions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-shortcut-map-network-drive#1TC=windows-7

from a command line, it's pretty simple:

net use m: \\servername\sharename\subshare\subshare2

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I tried that. Thanks.

• I renamed the folder that was WAY long to something shorter and simpler then mapped the drive. That fixed the problem.

• cathy.baker (12/13/2013)

I renamed the folder that was WAY long to something shorter and simpler then mapped the drive. That fixed the problem.

Thanks for the feedback, Cathy.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Long Path Tool could be the answer to your problem. I too faced a similar predicament some time back. Long Path Tool came in very handy at that time.

• On my case my sql server path was very long

D:\Software\en_sql_server_2008_r2_enterprise_x86_x64_ia6t4_dvd_520517\en_sql_server_2008_r2_enterprise_x86_x64_ia64_dvd_520517\setup.exe

I just renamed that to

D:\Software\sql server\sql server\setup.exe

then work fine for me

😀

• Thanks dude, solved my problem the same way:-)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply