Logshipping

• Hi,

This question is actually not realted to sql server, but I am not able to get the answer from anywhere so thought of putting it over here.

I am trying to set logshipping on SQL Server 2005+sp3 Developer edition which is installed on my home pc running on Windows xp profesional+sp3. Since my PC is not in a network, I am not able to get a IP address nor I am able to share the backup & copy folders, logshipping asks for the network path while inserting the backup folder details.

I have tried inputting dummy IP address & subnet mask from network connections, however when I do a ipconfig from CMD prompt it doesn't shows me updated IP address.

Can some1 help me in this regards I need this details very urgently for testing some release.

Regards

aSIR

• I'm having a hard time to figure out how such environment may provide a valid platform for log shipping testing.

Log shipping is meant to happen in between two servers linked in a network.

I would suggest to add a second computer or try virtualization.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Pablo,

I am setting logshipping on 2 different instance installed on the same machine. I have already set this in the past on some different machine which was in network.

The question is not about setup, the question is about IP address & folder sharing which i am not able to do.

I am seeking for some alternate way to find a solution when your PC is not in the network.

regrds

Asir

• I am not so gud with virtualization, could you please advice how can I do that?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply