CAST(@msg.query('/EVENT_INSTANCE/EventType/text()') AS varchar(100)),

CAST(@msg.query('/EVENT_INSTANCE/LoginName/text()') AS varchar(100)),

CAST(@msg.query('/EVENT_INSTANCE/ClientHost/text()') AS varchar(100)),

APP_NAME(),

@@SPID

)

END

GO

Nothing special going on here. When I run this in SSMS, everything works perfectly.

My problem is that I actually have the table creation in one script file and the trigger creation in another script file. (a development methodology I use).

I then have a .bat file which executes these script files via SQLCMD.

My batch file basically looks like this:

sqlcmd -E -S %1 -d %2 -i "CREATE TABLE Log_ServerLogon.sql" -o output.log

sqlcmd -E -S %1 -d %2 -i "CREATE TRIGGER tri_Log_ServerLogon.sql" >> output.log

I use a command prompt and type xxxx.bat [server] [database] and it executes.

Everything gets installed fine, EXCEPT, that the logon trigger basically locks me out of the server no matter how I log in. (the error message tells me it's the trigger that's preventing me from connecting). I then have to log in on the server using the sqlcmd -A switch to drop the trigger.

Can somebody explain why this happens this way?

David

• just checking the basics...SYSUTCDATETIME() is SQL 2008 only...could it be the server you ran the script on is 2005 and the trigger is failing with invalid column name?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• No, the server is SQL 2008.

The script works fine (the auditing works fine) if I execute the scripts through SSMS.

The objects get created if I execute them via the batch command, but the trigger locks everybody out.

So, my question is why the trigger locks everybody out when I create it via sqlcmd, but not SSMS.

David

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply