Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

• Not sure what the SSIS is doing inside, But many times people forget that if there are other OLEDB conenctions and and you are accessing other server and databasese then your SQL agent need to have access to that server and DB.

Also, it can be a fire wall issues like in our work environment we have a something called NetSeg, two server cannot communicate if one is outside of NetSeg and other is inside.

Alos, Check if your are usning any password in SSIS and if the SSIS is password protected. This usually creates an issue while running in job.

Error message would be helpful.

• Just to re-cap....the issue is as follows -

> I have a SSIS package which connects to multiple servers

> It executes properly when directly executed from the dtsx file (double click -> execute)

> I have created a credential and a proxy on an instance (enterprise edition)

> I have created a job to execute the SSIS package using the proxy

> The job has a output log file

> I have tried both scheduling and directly executing the job, but it fails before starting with the following error - "Unable to start execution of step 1 (reason: Error authenticating proxy <Domain>\<WindowsID>, system error: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.). The step failed."

> Have tried changing the password, but did not resolve the error

> The indivual package is runing fine using multiple user IDs outside the SQL job

> I am using a proxy with credential of the ID having access and who is able to execute the package outside the Agent Job

> Have provided sa priviledge to the agent service account

> Additionally, changing to local system account is out of scope for me.

Chandrachurh Ghosh
    DBA – MS SQL Server
    Ericsson India Global Services Limited
    Quality is not an act, it is a habit.

• Just in case others have gotten here for the same reason. Make sure that the account your proxy/credential is using is a user in its default database in SQL Security.

We went through all the other suggestions and until we did this, for some reason that was causing it to pass a Null SID when it was trying to authenticate to AD.

• Hello

We have a SQL 2012 which runs on a Windows 2012 Server in domain 1

The Problem is:

We like to use the SQL Agent, to backup over a script, all our Print Server which are in domain 2

The Script looks as follows.

c:\windows\System32\Spool\Tools\Printbrm.exe -s \\Servername.domain.XY -b -f c:\temp\Printer_Servername.printerExport

The Script itself works perfectly, when I run the script over cmlet "cmd" with a user in domain 2

- run as ----

Our SQL Server is not in the same Domain as the Printer server but we have a one way trust between them.

Anyway... every time when we run the job, we get a failure like:

Unable to start execution of step 1 (reason: Error authenticating proxy domain2\admin, system error: The user name or password is incorrect.). The step failed.

We added the same user on SQL Credentials which we used when we run the script as a run as account in cmlet.

Then we added a Proxy with that account and set all the subsystem on that User without success.

Any Ideas why we get an error "The user name or password is incorrect"

Thanks for help

sb

• Hi,

I can concur regarding this being caused by the SQLAgent service account being configured with a domain account. Impersonation may well solve this but to work around the issue for now I have set the SQLAgent to run as Local System and my package is now executing on schedule.

Brian

• Try this...

Under Security tab.. Go to 'Credentials' and update the password of the job user....

• It worked for me after changing password of our domain account under Security --> Credentials.

Thank you...:-)

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply