Logins, Users, and Roles - Getting Started

• Great Article Andy. This helps take some of the mystique out of process.

• Good Work Andy!

• This was a great beginning article.  I would love to see followups where you progressively delve deeper into more complex issues around security.

• Thanks for an excellent article. You emphasized granting permissions to a role, not to a user for best practice. If we are using an Active Directory group as a login, and bring users in and out of that group, then it can serve the same purpose as a role - right??!!!??? I am not sure on this point. If we can use NT/AD groups, then why bother with roles?

Thanks for any clarifications

Best regards

JD

• Hello,Andy!

i execute T-SQL:

USE Master;

EXEC sp_addlogin testuser,testdb;

USE testdb;

EXEC sp_grantdbaccess testuser;

Why after this i cannot see testuser as a user of database testdb in the Enterprise Manager?

• I want to list database role members and most importantly, script them out. How can I do that?

Manoj Deshpande.

• Hello,

I recently was given the task as the 1st DBA at my company. It it one of those situations where I have the HUGE task of cleaning up after the years of bad practice. The first horror story I have is that everyone uses the 'sa' account to log in. I need to change this very quickly.

I checked out your article and it was helpful but my question is - how should I set up a system of users? Should there be a login for the developers or should each developer have their own login (of course I am talking about the development server)? I think it would be a huge pain to set up a whole system of logins for everyone in the production department.

How would you handle this situation?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply