Login/Add connection failure

• I am trying to add a connection to a database from visual studios and i get the error "login failed for user 'computer name\account name'...

I have no problem accessing the database directly from the SQL Server Management Studio, but each time I try through visual studios, I am never able to.

Does anyone have an idea of how to resolve this issue? I really appreciate your insight.

OS - Vista

SQL 2005

Visual Studios 2005

• Is this a local install of SQL Server?

You are passing along a local credential if you have computername/username and not a domain credential. Check the registration properties from SSMS and see if you have something different there.

• Yes, this is a local install of SQL.

I have checked the registration properties from SSMS and I don't see anything different there. Any other ideas?

• Your account must not have a login in SQL Server. What does the SSMS registered server settings say?

• Thanks for the response, though it didn't resolve it. But I traced the issue back to the point of my uninstall and reinstallation of SQL, and apparently it's a problem with SQL/Visual Studios on Vista. So I downloaded the sp2 for SQL and that seems to have resolved the issue for now.

I don't know if this is a permanent fix, but it seems to be for now.

• Thanks for the update. Hope it works from here on out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply