login_name shows up as blank in sys.dm_exec_sessions but not in sp_who2

• When I probe sys.dm_exec_sessions (joining with other DMVs to get active-session info) I get the login_name column to be blank for a certain session.

Yet, for the same spid, the Login shows up properly (not blank) when I execute "sp_who2 active".

It also shows up properly in sys.sysprocesses.

What could be the reason for the faulty output of sys.dm_exec_sessions ?

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• I suspect that it is your join that is causing this. Can you supply the query that you are using?

• BrentMc (8/29/2011)

I suspect that it is your join that is causing this. Can you supply the query that you are using?

Sure, here it is:

--"Performance Tuning with SQL Server Dynamic Management Views", L. Davidson and T. Ford

SELECT

[des].session_id

,[des].[status]

,[des].login_name

,[des].[host_name]

,der.blocking_session_id

,DB_NAME(der.database_id) AS database_name

,der.command

,[des].cpu_time

,[des].reads

,[des].writes

,[dec].last_write

,[des].[program_name]

,der.wait_type

,der.wait_time

,der.last_wait_type

,der.wait_resource

,CASE [des].transaction_isolation_level

WHEN 0 THEN 'Unspecified'

WHEN 1 THEN 'ReadUncommitted'

WHEN 2 THEN 'ReadCommitted'

WHEN 3 THEN 'Repeatable'

WHEN 4 THEN 'Serializable'

WHEN 5 THEN 'Snapshot'

END AS transaction_isolation_level

,OBJECT_NAME( dest.objectid, der.database_id ) AS [object_name]

,dest.[text] AS [executing batch]

,SUBSTRING(

dest.[text], der.statement_start_offset / 2,

(CASE WHEN der.statement_end_offset = -1 THEN DATALENGTH (dest.[text])

ELSE der.statement_end_offset

END - der.statement_start_offset ) / 2

) AS [executing statement]

--,deqp.query_plan

FROM

sys.dm_exec_sessions [des]

LEFT JOIN

sys.dm_exec_requests der

ON

[des].session_id = der.session_id

LEFT JOIN

sys.dm_exec_connections [dec]

ON

[des].session_id = [dec].session_id

OUTER APPLY

sys.dm_exec_sql_text(der.sql_handle) dest

--OUTER APPLY

--sys.dm_exec_query_plan(der.plan_handle) deqp

WHERE

[des].session_id <> @@SPID

AND [des].[status] <> 'sleeping'

ORDER BY

[des].session_id;

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]

• Hmm, interesting. Since I can't duplicate this I have no idea why it would be blank. The source for sysprocesses and sys.dm_exec_sessions are different so the difference must be in the source.

• Jack Corbett (8/30/2011)

Hmm, interesting. Since I can't duplicate this I have no idea why it would be blank. The source for sysprocesses and sys.dm_exec_sessions are different so the difference must be in the source.

Thanks for responding, I'll see if I can find out something more about this.

• I'll definitely be interested in hearing what you find out.

• Posted this on Twitter and got an interesting question. Are you seeing this happen with a specific application like Access?

• Jack Corbett (8/31/2011)

Posted this on Twitter and got an interesting question. Are you seeing this happen with a specific application like Access?

I get it for something called "Entity Framework", but I don't know much else about it. I would need to ask the devs about that.

We don't use MS Access on that server.

I also just saw a linked server query running on the server in question, linking to another server; login name was blank for that session as well.

Unfortunately that's all I have at the moment.

• What do you get from the original_login_name column? And what does "blank" mean? NULL? Or an empty string?

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• Adam Machanic (8/31/2011)

What do you get from the original_login_name column? And what does "blank" mean? NULL? Or an empty string?

I get empty string.

I will add the original_login_name column in the output.

• Marios Philippopoulos (8/31/2011)

Jack Corbett (8/31/2011)

Posted this on Twitter and got an interesting question. Are you seeing this happen with a specific application like Access?

I get it for something called "Entity Framework", but I don't know much else about it. I would need to ask the devs about that.

I also just saw a linked server query running on the server in question, linking to another server; login name was blank for that session as well.

Okay, Entity Framework is MS's latest and greatest data access tool or ORM tool. I haven't worked much with Entity Framework applications so I haven't seen it. If I have a chance I'll do a quick EF app and see what happens.

• Jack Corbett (8/31/2011)

Marios Philippopoulos (8/31/2011)

Jack Corbett (8/31/2011)

Okay, Entity Framework is MS's latest and greatest data access tool or ORM tool. I haven't worked much with Entity Framework applications so I haven't seen it. If I have a chance I'll do a quick EF app and see what happens.

Great, I hadn't realized it was something so widely known and used.

I will certainly keep an eye out for it.

• I just did a quick check.

There is a session running EntityFramework, and the original_login_name is populated (not NULL); login_name is blank.

I noticed that there are 3 threads for that session: 3 records returned. Why would that be?

I am able to get most other information for that session, such as SQL running, query plan etc.

• Marios Philippopoulos (8/31/2011)

I noticed that there are 3 threads for that session: 3 records returned. Why would that be?

3 threads? You're not joining to any views that deal with threads. Do each of the three rows have different request IDs? If so, EF is making use of MARS (Multiple Active Result Sets). If not, then something odd is going on or you're using a different version of the query than the one you posted.

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• Adam Machanic (8/31/2011)

Marios Philippopoulos (8/31/2011)

3 threads? You're not joining to any views that deal with threads. Do each of the three rows have different request IDs? If so, EF is making use of MARS (Multiple Active Result Sets). If not, then something odd is going on or you're using a different version of the query than the one you posted.

I shouldn't have used the term "threads"; I just meant three records returned for the same session_id.

I will add request_id to the list of columns returned by the query to check for MARS.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply