Login packet issue

• Hi,

Aware this has been posted before by others in one form or another but I've tried the recommended solutions and come up empty. We've been getting this error sporadically from a client application trying to connect.

Error: 17832, Severity: 20, State: 11.
    2018-10-15 11:22:11.85 Logon   The login packet used to open the connection is structurally invalid; the connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library.

I've already tried the solution of setting the MaxTokenSize to 48,000 and that hasn't worked. It's not just machines that are trying to connect over the network either. When I run the application local to the SQL Server I can reproduce the issue. It's also happening on multiple servers of the same configuration. Beyond the token size I haven't seen any other obvious culprits that I haven't been able to rule out.
    Our vendor is pointing to an issue with our configuration. Does anyone have any ideas on where I could look for possible causes?

• Erik de Jonge - Monday, October 15, 2018 11:13 AM

Hi,

Aware this has been posted before by others in one form or another but I've tried the recommended solutions and come up empty. We've been getting this error sporadically from a client application trying to connect.

Error: 17832, Severity: 20, State: 11.
    2018-10-15 11:22:11.85 Logon   The login packet used to open the connection is structurally invalid; the connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library.

I've already tried the solution of setting the MaxTokenSize to 48,000 and that hasn't worked. It's not just machines that are trying to connect over the network either. When I run the application local to the SQL Server I can reproduce the issue. It's also happening on multiple servers of the same configuration. Beyond the token size I haven't seen any other obvious culprits that I haven't been able to rule out.
    Our vendor is pointing to an issue with our configuration. Does anyone have any ideas on where I could look for possible causes?

No idea if you tried all the recommended solutions and it did nothing.
    With this happening on multiple servers, did all of them continue to have the errors after changing the service account?

Sue

• Sue_H - Monday, October 15, 2018 12:28 PM

With this happening on multiple servers, did all of them continue to have the errors after changing the service account?

Sue

Can you clarify 'changing the service account'?
    For these servers our SQL Server service is running as local system. The only recommended solution I consistently found was the adjust the max token size. I don't recall coming across anything in relation to the service account

• Erik de Jonge - Monday, October 15, 2018 1:05 PM

Sue_H - Monday, October 15, 2018 12:28 PM

Sue

For these servers our SQL Server service is running as local system. The only recommended solution I consistently found was the adjust the max token size. I don't recall coming across anything in relation to the service account

Try changing the service account to a domain account.

Sue

• Sue_H - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:32 AM

Erik de Jonge - Monday, October 15, 2018 1:05 PM

Sue_H - Monday, October 15, 2018 12:28 PM

Sue

Try changing the service account to a domain account.

Sue

Tried that didn't work either.

We were able to get resolution to this. Based on other systems and the causes we were able to rule out the vendor went back and tested some other things for us.
    They were able to pin point the issue to a problem with repeated connections being established to the database in a short period. Appears that it was overloading it and causing the connection to fail with that cryptic error. The source of the connections was repaired and it resolved our issue. It's not happening with other clients, my best guess is that it likely has something to do with the sqloledb connector and sql server 2016 not getting along.

• There could be various reasons of getting this error either the network connection is bad and corrupts the data sent over it or the application uses client API which has an incorrect implementation of TDS protocol. It might be the possibility that the error comes for login type windows authentication. The error comes due to login at windows or AD level. Please check it using SQL security error log.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply