login management

• Im using SQLServer 2000 sp3a (old I know) and I'm new to my DBA job. One thing I've noticed it that domain logins accounts still show up as active in enterprise manager even though they are disabled or deleted in Active Directory. Why is that? Is there some way to clean up these accounts?

None our our DB servers are registered with active directory (server properties 'Active Directory' tab). Does that have anything to do with it?

Paul

• you do a comparison of the windows logins on sql again a txt dump of the logins in AD to see which ones no longer exist

Everything you can imagine is real.

• To determine SQL Server Windows logins that no longer exist in Active Directory ( or on the local server for local accounts), run this SQL:

select *

from

(select syslogins.nameas LoginName

,syslogins.sidas LoginSID

,suser_sname(syslogins.sid) as ADName

from syslogins

wheresyslogins.isntname = 1

) as LoginAD

-- changed or not found

whereADName is null

orADName LoginName

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

•  I don't believe its as simple as Carl's SQL above. At least it didn't work in my case. That is, disabling or deleting in AD didn't update the syslogins. I did find the perl script InvalidLogins.pl on this site that may actually checks AD but I haven't tried it yet.

Paul

• "disabling or deleting in AD didn't update the syslogins"

That is correct as the SQL only reports what login SIDs are no longer in Active Directory and what logins have had name changes in Active Directory. It does not report what AD accounts have been locked.

The SQL provided does not change anything. You must revoke access manually as you may find that the AD account owns objects such as tables, databases or DTS Packages and you will need to change all of the ownerships before removing the logins.

MS does not provide a means of renaming a login.

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• Carl:

Where the query will run ? Thx.

select *

from

(select syslogins.name as LoginName

, syslogins.sid as LoginSID

, suser_sname(syslogins.sid) as ADName

from syslogins

where syslogins.isntname = 1

) as LoginAD

-- changed or not found

where ADName is null

or ADName <> LoginName

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply