Login Failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with windows authentication

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP3) - 10.50.6000.34 (X64) Aug 19 2014 12:21:34 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor)

This morning every job that was hitting one of the SQL Servers started failing.
    The error:  "Login Failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with windows authentication"
    This was affecting SSIS jobs that tried to connect to that server. We've seen this before and a reboot fixes it.

I was wondering if anyone knew what causes it and if there is a way to prevent it?

• Error seems like it's telling you the problem here. Have you spoken to your network admins? Sounds like a problem with the Domain Controller.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Ya, i kinda figured that. 
    And yes the sys admins are on it. We rebooted the server this morning and everything is fine. 
    I see a lot of posts saying to change reg key for loopback check, use sql accounts, change Integrated Sec to false, blah, blah, blah... 

seems nobody actually knows why this happens. Of course upgrading to newer OS is probably the best... working on that.

Thought maybe someone else had this happen and found a fix to prevent it. But if the problem is entirely on the DC then nothing we can do on the SQL side but wait for it to happen again.

• one common cause for it is time synchronization across servers - if there is a difference between them it can cause it.
    And this happens when your SQL Server computer is restarted you can add a delay or a dependency on the time service.

And sometimes it is related to SPN's not being set correctly - As these can be "lost" check if this is also correct - and if required set the SQL Instance user with permissions to read/write SPN's itself.

• OK thanks, I'll check into these, and by check into these i'll suggest this to the sys admins 🙂
    The issue has happened on other servers, seems this randomly happens about once every 6 months or so where a server just of drops out of the domain.

• Tom Van Harpen - Friday, October 12, 2018 10:54 AM

OK thanks, I'll check into these, and by check into these i'll suggest this to the sys admins 🙂
    The issue has happened on other servers, seems this randomly happens about once every 6 months or so where a server just of drops out of the domain.

Every 6 months ... Just a thought: Does this perhaps align with the daylight savings switch-overs?
    MNOTE: I do not deal with daylight savings, so I may be waaay off the mark.

• not precisely every 6 months, that was just a ballpark. seems like during the year it may happen once or twice but no pattern.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply