Login failed for user 'XXX\AUser'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database 'MODEL'. [CLIENT: xx.xx.xx.xx]

• I have a baffling issue that is not a problem, but creates a lot of noise from our servers.  I can fix it by granting permissions to the model database, but that falls out of the "standard setup" of our servers. 

There is ONE user who causes these errors to occur a few hundred times a day.  We have observed what he does, and cannot figure out what he is doing differently than anyone else. 

Here are the facts:
    This person is a developer, and is part of the same group as the rest of the developers.  They all have the same rights/access on the various servers in the different environments. 

In QA, they have read-only access to the user databases, and can view the schema.
    In prod, they have read-only access, but only on the secondary servers in the availability group.

This person is using SSMS 17.x, connecting to the server, and most of the time he is right-clicking on a table and picking "Select top 1000 rows".
    We have watched over his shoulder and see nothing "different" than what everyone else is doing. We have uninstalled SSMS and re-installed.  Nothing changes this. 
    I have changed every groups default database to tempdb, nothing changed.  Every time this person opens SSMS and runs a query.

Stumped we are.   Anyone have any ideas?

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John - Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:09 PM

I have a baffling issue that is not a problem, but creates a lot of noise from our servers.  I can fix it by granting permissions to the model database, but that falls out of the "standard setup" of our servers. 

There is ONE user who causes these errors to occur a few hundred times a day.  We have observed what he does, and cannot figure out what he is doing differently than anyone else. 

Here are the facts:
    This person is a developer, and is part of the same group as the rest of the developers.  They all have the same rights/access on the various servers in the different environments. 

In QA, they have read-only access to the user databases, and can view the schema.
    In prod, they have read-only access, but only on the secondary servers in the availability group.

This person is using SSMS 17.x, connecting to the server, and most of the time he is right-clicking on a table and picking "Select top 1000 rows".
    We have watched over his shoulder and see nothing "different" than what everyone else is doing. We have uninstalled SSMS and re-installed.  Nothing changes this. 
    I have changed every groups default database to tempdb, nothing changed.  Every time this person opens SSMS and runs a query.

That was a bug on a previous version of SSMS which was due to intellisense but that was 16.x something.
    Any difference if they turn off intellisense? Any denies in model?

Sue

• Sue_H - Tuesday, January 29, 2019 1:46 PM

Michael L John - Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:09 PM

I have a baffling issue that is not a problem, but creates a lot of noise from our servers.  I can fix it by granting permissions to the model database, but that falls out of the "standard setup" of our servers. 

Here are the facts:

That was a bug on a previous version of SSMS which was due to intellisense but that was 16.x something.
    Any difference if they turn off intellisense? Any denies in model?

Sue

There are no denies in model.  Aside from changing the file growths, creating a couple empty database roles, and the recovery model, model is "stock".
    The intellisense is an option.  I will look at that! But, the same question comes up.  There are at least 10-20 other people doing the exact same thing with the same tools and settings, with no issues. 

i was also going to look at third-party tools he may have installed, like SQL Search.   There may be something there.  
    The big thing is that this person is the "lowest" technical resource we have.  There is nothing he would have installed or configured on his own.  He would have followed a more senior persons instructions.

Michael L John

• Michael L John - Tuesday, January 29, 2019 2:00 PM

There are no denies in model.  Aside from changing the file growths, creating a couple empty database roles, and the recovery model, model is "stock".
    The intellisense is an option.  I will look at that! But, the same question comes up.  There are at least 10-20 other people doing the exact same thing with the same tools and settings, with no issues. 

i was also going to look at third-party tools he may have installed, like SQL Search.   There may be something there.  
    The big thing is that this person is the "lowest" technical resource we have.  There is nothing he would have installed or configured on his own.  He would have followed a more senior persons instructions.

I'm still wondering if it's not related to that older bug or remnants of such. Have the user try on a different PC to see if they still have the same issue.

Sue

• Not sure we got to the bottom of it, but it has gone away.
    We had them un-install SSMS 2016, and everything else that went along with it.  
    We installed SSLS 17.x, and they have been working just fine for two days. 

Sue, I think you probably had it correct with the SSMS bug.

Michael L John

• Michael L John - Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:24 AM

Not sure we got to the bottom of it, but it has gone away.
    We had them un-install SSMS 2016, and everything else that went along with it.  
    We installed SSLS 17.x, and they have been working just fine for two days. 

Sue, I think you probably had it correct with the SSMS bug.

Thanks for posting back. I had something similar but never spent the time I should have to figure out what was going on. Sometimes it's just one of those where you just want it fixed. SSMS has gremlins.

Sue

• Michael L John - Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:09 PM

Here are the facts:

Perhaps model was selected in "Connect to database" in Connection Properties using using Registered servers with ?  Or likewise in the Connect to Server dialog?

• RAThor - Friday, February 1, 2019 8:19 AM

Michael L John - Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:09 PM

Here are the facts:

Perhaps model was selected in "Connect to database" in Connection Properties using using Registered servers with ?  Or likewise in the Connect to Server dialog?

No, that was not configured, but it was a good guess.  That was actually one of the first things we looked at.

Michael L John

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply