Login failed for user ''. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only.

• I'm posting this to hopefully help someone else who runs across this problem.

We have an application (Websense) running locally on the SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 CU3 server. I keep receiving this message in the SQL logs:

2012-11-06 09:05:22.15 Logon Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 58.

2012-11-06 09:05:22.15 Logon Login failed for user ''. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only. [CLIENT: 99.999.9.999]

I installed SQL Server on this machine and it has always been set to "Mixed Mode" and never "Windows authentication only." I am the only SQL DBA in our organization.

I was able to reproduce this error by creating a ODBC driver, then changing the user name and password to "blank" or "null" and trying to connect. The above error is what gets recorded in the log file.

Bottom line, the application is trying to connect using Windows authentication, but using a blank/null user name and password.

The SQL error is not returning a true representation of what is wrong.

Now our application guy has got to figure out why the application is trying to connect using a blank/null user name and password.

Terry

• Probably a flaw in the error-handling code in the engine. Throws an error (correctly) for a blank login, but the error message is either the wrong one, or is poorly worded. I'd guess "poorly worded" is the most likely answer. Keep in mind, the devs who write the error messages are just as human as the rest of us.

You could post it on Microsoft Connect, and they might fix the error message in a future version.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• This was happening to one my systems today. Very good post, it helped me identify the real issue.

• Glad it was helpful. It certainly took me a while to figure it out.

• Hi

I have my error logs filling up with these messages. i wanted to find out how can i find the source/application that is causing it? Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply