Logical consistency error

• Hi,

Often am getting logical consistency error in one my production server. Recently i did DBCC with allow dataloss option, to correct the inconsistency. Now i see the below error in the database.

SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect pageid (expected 1:6743211; actual 0:0). It occurred during a read of page (1:6743211) in database ID 11 at offset 0x00000cdc956000

Again do I need to repair the database? Why this inconsistency is happening often?

Thanks,

Dev.

• Please run the following and post the full and complete unedited output.

DBCC CHECKDB (<Database Name>) WITH NO_INFOMSGS, ALL_ERRORMSGS

If you're getting repeated corruptions, there's something wrong in the IO subsystem. Check logs, check drivers, firmware, etc.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Am unable to do DBCC checkdb also.

It is erroring with temp db out of space.

Month back , i tried to run dbcc when my application was down. That time i got the output.

Shall i run with tablock option? Is there any other option where i can perform DBCC without taking application down. Any Option other than taking the db in single user mode.

Thanks,

Dev.

• Post the output you got (everything). I can't tell anything from a description of the messages. (no, not with tablock)

Repair is not the recommended way to fix corruption, it's for cases where there's no clean backup. The recommended fix for corruption is to restore a clean backup

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• This is the output for the DBCC checkdb command

I executed DBCC checkdb (db_name) with all_errormsgs;

Msg 8967, Level 16, State 216, Line 1

An internal error occurred in DBCC that prevented further processing. Contact Customer Support Services.

DBCC results for <database_name >

Msg 8921, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Check terminated. A failure was detected while collecting facts. Possibly tempdb out of space or a system table is inconsistent. Check previous errors.

CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database <database name>

• Restore from a good backup

And do some investigation of that IO subsystem, maybe move the DB elsewhere (different disks)

Gail Shaw

• The problem is the good backup of this database got expired.

Kindly clarify my below questions

When you say move the DB to different disk? I have nearly 9 DB's data files on the same drive.Do I need to move all the 9 DB's data file to other drive??

Even other db's mdf files stay in this drive healthy?? Why this is getting corrupted?

• Whenever I suspect the IO system to be unreliable, I move all DB stuff that is on it !

No doubt.

I wouldn't take the risk of down time or losing data because of HW failures of an IO system that is unreliable.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• devanandiiway (1/3/2013)

The problem is the good backup of this database got expired.

Then you have a serious problem, because there's no way you can repair this error. You need to restore a clean backup here.

When you say move the DB to different disk? I have nearly 9 DB's data files on the same drive.Do I need to move all the 9 DB's data file to other drive??

Well that or risk the others becoming corrupted

Even other db's mdf files stay in this drive healthy?? Why this is getting corrupted?

As I said, IO subsystem problems of some form. You need to check the IO subsystem (everything from the drivers to the disks) and look for problems.

Gail Shaw

• Do you mean that I need to move all the mdf from that drive?

Is there anyway I can repair the hardware? Since it is occuring often.

• devanandiiway (1/4/2013)

Do you mean that I need to move all the mdf from that drive?

Unless you are happy that the databases on there may potentially become corrupted, yes. That's like asking if you should keep critical data on a drive that's giving known problems. Personally I wouldn't, but if you don't care if that critical data is lost, then keep it there.

Is there anyway I can repair the hardware? Since it is occuring often.

Maybe. Depends what's wrong with it. You need to check the IO subsystem (everything from the drivers to the disks) and look for problems.

Gail Shaw

• I will move all my mdf files to other drive and let you know.

Thanks,

Dev

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply