Log Utility recommendations?

• I have been looking at the various tran log reading utilities on the market, and don't quite see on to meet my needs.  Perhaps some one else has seen one that does.

As a consultant, and having many clients that I travel and meet with, I sometimes have a situation where I need reconstruct what happened to data in a database.  These various log reader utilities look like what I would like to use, but they either have to be installed before the log is written, or are priced by server instance. 

I am looking for a product that I can carry on my notebook, drop in on a client, attach to their network, and be able to review the SQL Server transaction logs on a server.  Ideally, it would work with active logs or backups, though I would assume the backups would be preferable (can always copy/backup an active log to review it).  Being able to filter by table, column, value would be helpful.

Any suggestions for products to use?

Mark

• Have you tried Lumigent Technologies - Log Explorer?

• I looked at it (at their site), but their licensing is by server, and you cannot transfer it to another server.  I am looking for something like "client licensing", where I can have it on my machine, and be able to review logs of different servers and different sites (without having to buy licenses for 25 servers!).

Mark

• What about ApexSqlLog (http://www.apexsql.com/sql_tools_log.htm)?. They license by client and they also offer the ability to monitor both online and offline logs with both a GUI and CLI version. They have a fully functional 15 day trial that you can download.

I've been using them for the last couple of months now and have even made their tool an integral part of our automated Sarbanes monitoring.

Whilst it won't fully fulfill one of your criteria (there is a server part required and the log entries may not be fully annotated with user names etc if you don't have it installed prior to reading them) I'd be surprised if you can find anything that doesn't have that limitation since, as far as I know, there's no way for a client piece to read a remote transaction log natively.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply