log shipping with identity columns

• Hello,

I've been trying to enable log shipping with tables using identity columns through RMO but I constantly get an identity error. The identity on the table was added after the publication was setup though.

Is there a way to do the log shipping with something like IDENTITY INSERT OFF option during insert operations by the agent?

I've read on BOL and they propose to manage identities with different ID range on each server but that does not suit our needs.

I would like the secondary server to be exactly the same as the primary one, having the same IDs (identity).

• You have to be more specific about your problem. Log shipping has nothing to do with publication. Publication has to do with replication. Also you are writing about RMO which is a programming model to manage replication objects. If you do need to create and manage replication, then you are you doing it with RMO instead of using the GUI? Can you explain what you are trying to do?

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• My mistake

Yes it is replication not log shipping.

We have a database currently in use.

We have setup replication through RMO to support a secondary server (a warm backup server).

RMO is used because we want to abstract the SQL layer from the application.

Now some tables has identity columns added after the publication was done. Those new identity columns need to be replicated.

We're having the identity insert issue.

We would like having the two servers with the exact same data IDs to be able to switch to the secondary if necessary.

• That being the case, then I believe you need to be looking at log shipping or database mirroring instead. Transactional replication (assuming that's what you're using) is really meant to be a reporting solution and not a high availability solution. Log Shipping was designed to give you the warm standby server you mentioned by applying the transaction logs to the standby at regular intervals. The one thing you need to watch out for with log shipping are large transaction log backup files (usually related to index maintenance) causing latency in the application of the backups to the standby.

• Yes it is transactional replication.

I believe we are bound with this solution. Any ideas for managing identities then?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply