log shipping vs reporting

• I have a secondary server database which is log shipped every 15 minutes. There is now a reporting requirement on this database. What are the implications of running a query against this database

1.If a query is running when the restore job starts.

2.If a query is submitted during the restore job.

Thanks

Buzz

• I would assume:

When the job starts - Users are disconnected & the restore job is the only process connected to the database (Single User).

While the job's in progress - You won't be able to query the database as it's in restoring state.

• Lian Pretorius (3/30/2009)

I would assume:

When the job starts - Users are disconnected & the restore job is the only process connected to the database (Single User).

Unless you rewrite the restore script, user will not be disconnected automatically. So the restore process will fail when users are connected to the database. That's why usually it's not a good idea to use a logshipped database for reporting.

What you can do is that you collect the log backups and wait with the restore until the database is no longer used. I've had a customer there they only restored the log backups at night, so that user could run reports during the day. But keep in mind that in that case the reports will not contain the latest data.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Sure, but when you have a requirement with a smaller latency, let's say 30 - 60 mins, it probably won't work either.

It's probably all down to the business requirement.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply