Log shipping VS Mirroring

• Hello All,
    What is the main different between those HADR solution:
    1) Log shipping
    2) Mirroring

Why should i choose Log shipping over Mirroring?

Thanks in advance!

• 89netanel - Monday, January 23, 2017 10:21 AM

Hello All,
    1) Log shipping
    2) Mirroring

Thanks in advance!

Not sure you would want to compare those two technologies since Mirroring will no longer be available in future versions of SQL Server. For those reasons, it's recommended not to use Mirroring on new development.
    Log shipping is more of a DR solution. Mirroring can be more HA if using synchronous/automatic failover. But both have different things they address and both have different considerations. There are other options available for HADR depending on your environment, needs. 
    This article is a little bit old but is still a pretty good reference on options, considerations, benefits, etc:
    An overview of High Availability and Disaster Recovery solutions available for SQL Server

Sue

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Using the defaults, Log Shipping jobs have a 15 minute schedule, so you have a greater potential for data loss, than AG (mirroring) in Synchronous or Asynch mode (assuming decent bandwidth between replicas).

Nice feature of LS...if you mess up the primary, you can jump over to the primary and disable the restore job so the problem  doesn't restore there if you know about the issue quick enough.   I've had to do that several times.   Sometimes I set the Log Shipping restore job on the destination to more than 15 minutes....up to 8 hours in one case...for exactly this reason.

HTH

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

Hello All,
    1) Log shipping
    2) Mirroring

Thanks in advance!

Important difference is that the LS secondary can be set read only with no special features required.
    For mirroring you can snapshot the mirror db but you need enterprise edition.
    Mirroring can run in high performance or asynchronous mode but again requires enterprise edition.
    LS has a lower overhead generally as there is no 2 phase commit to be respected between the endpoints

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Hello All,
    1) Log shipping
    2) Mirroring

Thanks in advance!

• How many destination servers do you require?

If you require only a single destination database, database mirroring is the recommended solution.

If you require more than one destination database, you need to use log shipping, either alone or with database mirroring. Combining these approaches gives you the benefits of database mirroring along with the support for multiple destinations provided by log shipping.

• If you need to delay restoring log on the destination database (typically, to protect against logical errors), use log shipping, alone or with database mirroring.

• Log Shipping backs up the log on the primary server and stores those backups in a local folder. > Copies those files across the network to the secondary server. > Restores those backups using the WITH STANDBY option

Database Mirroring sends individual transactions to the secondary server, in either a synchronous fashion or an asynchronous fashion.

Why should i choose Log shipping over Mirroring?

> Log shipping doesn't need a special design of the database
    > Log shipping is a less drain on resources, is easier to set up and maintain

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply