Log Shipping - secondary database path showing wrong location

• Hi

I've configured log shipping to use for DR purposes. I'm concerned that the physical location of the secondary is mis-reported by SQL Server Management Studio.

Viewing the secondary location (with Studio \ DB_name \ Properties \ Files) shows the path of the primary DB (I expected it to show the path of the secondary).

This SQL command shows the correct/actual paths of both primary and secondary DB's when run on their host servers.

SELECT name, physical_name AS CurrentLocation, state_desc FROM sys.master_files

Is this just cosmetic?

Are my concerns valid?

Can you explain this?

Here is an Example of how the Studio shows the incorrect path for the secondary.

Example:

(Primary) servername=prodSrv, DBname=aquaDB, Actual_Path=G:\aquaDB, SQL-studio-Properties-Path=G:\AquaDB, sys.master_files Path=G:\AquaDB,

Log shipped to

(Secondary / Read Only) servername=DRSrv, DBname=aquaDB, Actual Path=F:\aquaDR, SQL-studio-Properties-Path=G:\AquaDB(WRONG), sys.master_files Path=F:\aquaDR

Thanks very much

Julian

• The possible reason could be you might have restoed the database without move option on secondary database. If you do not specify move option while restore it will restore the database with default path i.e. same as primary database.

HTH

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• I was also confused by this initially.

When the database is in stand by mode, primary database's path\filename is returned.

Correct path\filename is shown when the secondary database is made online.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply