LOG SHIPPING - Restore log (on the secondary server) has been interupred by full disk

• LS,

Running fine for several months the restore of the logs on the secondary server was interrupted due to the lack of storage.

On the primary server;

** LSBackup and LSAlert prompting no errors - log are being made (!)

On the secondary server;

** LSAlert is promping errors since the storage has reached 100%

...........Executed as user: <<USER>>. The log shipping secondary database <<our database>> has restore threshold of 180 minutes and is out of sync.

...........ERROR message --> No restore was performed for 3936 minutes. Restored latency is 6 minutes. Check agent log and logshipping monitor information. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 14421). The step failed.

** LSRestore is promping no errors but is listing a lagre ammount of sub-messages (steps) and one of the first is promting that one certain log failed to recover.

...........ERROR message --> *** Error: Could not apply log backup file '\\path\databse_20161028171501.trn' to secondary database '<<DATABASE>>' (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.LogShipping) ***

Is there a way to restart the 'restore-log' sequence or do I have to set loghipping up again from the start ??

Please help me out on this.

Guus Kramer

The Netherlands

• I haven't seen this particular error in the past, but once you fix the full-storage problem you "should" be able to restore the same log file that failed and then proceed on. I do know that it cannot hurt to try this. If it works you are golden, if it doesn't then go to Plan B and set up log shipping again.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• @TheSQLGuru

I located the failed logfile, but executing the restore, it stated this one was too young and the previous logfile stated it was too old - and there was no logfile in the middle.

I tried to use the 'RESTART 'and the 'CONTINUE_AFTER_ERROR' options but both did not work.

Because this is a important environment (and I did not get any answers to help me on this) I just dropped the LOGSHIPPING and recreated it again.....

Guus

• gkramer 23701 (10/31/2016)

@TheSQLGuru

I located the failed logfile, but executing the restore, it stated this one was too young and the previous logfile stated it was too old - and there was no logfile in the middle.

I tried to use the 'RESTART 'and the 'CONTINUE_AFTER_ERROR' options but both did not work.

Because this is a important environment (and I did not get any answers to help me on this) I just dropped the LOGSHIPPING and recreated it again.....

Guus

It sounds like there was a log backup file on the primary that just didn't get moved over. I hope you checked for that first. 🙂 But regardless I am happy you could get back online with a reconfigure in a timely manner.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply