Log Shipping problem saving secondary destination configuration in SQL 2005

• Hi to all here,

I am trying to setup a log shipping job using a primary and secondary server using SQL 2005 Management Studio's wizard. I have done this successfully on other servers on XP, however, I am now trying to set up log shipping on WIN 2003 machines and having problems.

The login accounts in SQL agent/server are identical on both primary and secondary servers. I am able to setup the log shipping configuration (backup settings, adding/connecting secondary server etc) and click ok to create the job.

While saving the log shipping configuration, the backup completes, the restore-restores the database to the secondary server, however, on the 3rd step "Saving secondary destination configuration" I get an error basically saying the operation is timing out.

Save Log Shipping Configuration

- Backing up primary database [MyDatabase] (Success)

- Restoring backup to secondary database [MyServer2].[MyDatabase] (Success)

- Saving secondary destination configuration [MyServer2].[MyDatabase] (Error)

* SQL Server Management Studio could not save the configuration of 'MyServer2' as a Secondary. (Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio)

------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -2)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=09.00.3054&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-2&LinkId=20476

- Saving primary backup setup (Stopped)

- Rolling Back (In progress...)

The error points to a microsoft page which says

Explanation

The SQL Server client cannot connect to the server. This error could occur because the firewall on the server has refused the connection.

User Action

Make sure that you have configured the firewall on the server instance of SQL Server to accept connections."

There is no firewall configured on either server, so I am completely lost on what the problem can be here.

I don't understand why I get a message saying I can't connect to the secondary server when I can clearly connect(to the secondary server) to setup the log shipping job and restore to new standby database to the secondary. Am I missing something here?

Other notes:

I am logging to each server (primary to setup log shipping AND connecting in log ship config of secondary) using their IP and SQL authentication "sa" username+password

Has anyone had a similar problem or know something that may help me with this issue?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

• any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• I am having the same issue of logging to SQLServer 2005.

"User Action

Make sure that you have configured the firewall on the server instance of SQL Server to accept connections."

I have not firewall configured. Please help.

• from the primary, can u connect to secondary and fire queries?

Pradeep Singh

• Can you script out your log shipping configuration and run the procs one by one to help further

I take it that, checking @@servername on both instances reports everything correctly and that sysservers is ok

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Unable to connect to SQLServer Database? Please help. URGENT.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-2

Winsolin.

• Hi

i have same problem

"The specified @server_name ('WIN-xxx) does not exist.

SQL Server Management Studio could not save the configuration of 192.168.1.

119 as a Secondary. (Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio)"

i have tried @@serverName and SELECT * FROM servername

are same.

Please its urgent.

Thanks

Rajat

• I know this is an old post, but today I had the same problem (btw it took me 4 hours to find a solution). What I did was create the log shipping with SSMS and then create a log shipping script to check the procs. When I was looking i had an idea instead put the name on @primary_server I put the ip and success.

Hope this can help someone else.

tks.

Igor Amato.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply