Log shipping not restoring the T-log to the destination database

• Hi Guru's,

I'm planning to perform a Log shipping between 2 servers. But some how I am unable to complete the task. Let me provide a brief explanation how it reacts now.

1) I have a sever A with DAtabase A1, from which I'm performing the log shipping to the destination sever B, to the database B1.

2) I see that the T-log job is generating the log for every 15 mins which is scheduled, but it is not applying to the destination database B1.... 🙁

3) I have set the Secondary Load state to"Standy by Mode", even though if i change to recovery mode, then also no effect.

4) I can apply the T-log from the manually to the destination database, which is perfectly working.

In addition to this, information regarding servers are. Server A is local instance and Server B is named instance. Both them has SP4.

Kindly let me know, whether i have missed out anything or what need to done to fix this out.

Regards

Kumar...

• Both the servers are SQL 2000 Developer Edition with SP4

• Hi Gurus..

Any one have some suggestion regarding this..... ?

Kindly let me know.

Regards

Kumar.

• not sure which flavour of log shipping you are running, but any errors detailed in the history table in msdb for log shipping?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I dint get it clear.. what flavour you mean ? I dont see any error messages in the history.

• r u using log shipping set up by the wizard in SQL 2000 enterprise edition, or some other log shipping set-up?

• As I mentioned before itself, both of them are SQL 2000 Developer Edition with SP4. I Know it should work only in Enterprise version, but I cant find the reason why it is not working in developer version.

• on your destination server in msdb, check out table log_shipping_plan_history, this will have a row for each copy and restore event, this should have info on what happened.

• Hi george,

In the destination MSDB, I see that the values are update in that table. I have posted the output values... Snapshot is the name of the database. The trn files are not restoring to the destination database which is read only mode and load state is "Standby Mode"

But some how I dont know why the trn files are not restorning to the destination database. Please let me know what might be the cause and how to go further.

2677A0A7085-6543-474C-8BE8-8992CEE8055BSnapShotSnapShot110first_file_000000000000.trn2008-04-30 10:15:33.85310

2707A0A7085-6543-474C-8BE8-8992CEE8055BSnapShotSnapShot110first_file_000000000000.trn2008-04-30 10:22:51.90710

2687A0A7085-6543-474C-8BE8-8992CEE8055BSnapShotNone010first_file_000000000000.trn2008-04-30 10:15:33.86310

2697A0A7085-6543-474C-8BE8-8992CEE8055BSnapShotNone010first_file_000000000000.trn2008-04-30 10:22:47.97010

Regards

Kumar

• are the SQLagent jobs failing? please post sp_help for this table.

Anyone connected to fdatabase when job tries to restore?

• Hi,

SQL Agents are not failing. I see in that table, the destination database value shows NONE.

Please have look at this table

Name Owner Type Created_datetime

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------

log_shipping_plan_history dbo user table 2000-08-06 01:48:08.200

Column_name Type Computed Length Prec Scale Nullable TrimTrailingBlanks FixedLenNullInSource Collation

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------- ----------- ----- ----- ----------------------------------- ----------------------------------- ----------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sequence_id int no 4 10 0 no (n/a) (n/a) NULL

plan_id uniqueidentifier no 16 no (n/a) (n/a) NULL

source_database sysname no 256 no (n/a) (n/a) SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

destination_database sysname no 256 no (n/a) (n/a) SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

activity bit no 1 no (n/a) (n/a) NULL

succeeded bit no 1 no (n/a) (n/a) NULL

num_files int no 4 10 0 no (n/a) (n/a) NULL

last_file nvarchar no 512 yes (n/a) (n/a) SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

end_time datetime no 8 no (n/a) (n/a) NULL

duration int no 4 10 0 yes (n/a) (n/a) NULL

error_number int no 4 10 0 no (n/a) (n/a) NULL

message nvarchar no 1000 yes (n/a) (n/a) SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Identity Seed Increment Not For Replication

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- -------------------

sequence_id 1 1 0

RowGuidCol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No rowguidcol column defined.

Data_located_on_filegroup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRIMARY

index_name index_description index_keys

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UQ__log_shipping_pla__6D6238AF nonclustered, unique, unique key located on PRIMARY sequence_id

constraint_type constraint_name delete_action update_action status_enabled status_for_replication constraint_keys

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------- ------------- -------------- ---------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEFAULT on column activity DF__log_shipp__activ__6E565CE8 (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) (0)

DEFAULT on column duration DF__log_shipp__durat__7132C993 (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) (0)

DEFAULT on column end_time DF__log_shipp__end_t__703EA55A (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) (getdate())

DEFAULT on column error_number DF__log_shipp__error__7226EDCC (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) (0)

DEFAULT on column num_files DF__log_shipp__num_f__6F4A8121 (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) (0)

UNIQUE (non-clustered) UQ__log_shipping_pla__6D6238AF (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) (n/a) sequence_id

No foreign keys reference this table.

No views with schema binding reference this table.

• If sql agent jobs are not failing don't quite see where error is. The 'message' column in the table will tell you what the error is if there is one.

• George,

The message column is blank, no information updated in it

• then I am afraid I am not sure, any other log shipping table list anything reflecting an error or the status of the job runs.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply