Log shipping in sql 2000 standard edition (SE)

• I have a SE version of 2k that I would like to set up a log ship to a standby server. I guess there is an unsupported log shipping method from the Resource Kit but it appears by just copying the tlog backups to the standby system you can restore them as you would on the primary. I can easily write a script to look in the standby folder for the .trns and restore them and clean up when restored. Besides the tlog restoration one would need the following:

1. DTS job to copy the logins

2. DTS job to copy the jobs

Don't think you could copy the DTS packages so that would be a problem. Has anyone tried setting up log shipping in SE other than using the built in system stored procs (via Resource Kit)? How did it go? Have I missed something? I haven't been able

• I use the tran log shipping in 2000 Se created from BORK. gives you everything you need and works fine, in fact I prefer it to the wizard version in EE. There is a script which serts up all procs, msdb tables and sqlagent jobs on the standby server, perhaps you have missed that.

I am sure there is a script on this site to backup DTS packages to .dts files, if not visit http://www.sqldts.com

If you cannot find what you want let me know monday I can forward to you

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• if you still want these, scripts attached

• Hey George, got caught up putting out a fire. Thanks for the reply. I grabbed the scripts and will look at them. I'm not sure what BORK is. Can you enlighten me? Are these basically the scripts from the 2k Resource Kit?

• no probs. BORK stands for Back Office Resource Kit. Which is basically a load of material, CDs you get if member of MSDN, or premier support, can't remember.

These scripts actually came from SQL 7 BORK as logshipping was not built in then, but works fine in 2000. I haven't come across a simpler to set up, easier to use\maintain log shipping set up if you are on 2000 standard edition. On primary it's the usual tran log backup using maint plan, and all log shipping is controlled from the secondary. I recommend running the log ship history purge job as that table can grow quite big.

Usual pre-requisites of servers running under domain account

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply