Log Shipping Failover situation

• Hi All,

I am little confused in the way how log shipping has been chnaged in SQL Server 2005. I read the whole of articles in BOL to find that microsoft has not given any procedures to handle the failover situation and the role change job. From my understanding i shall ask some quick questions.

1. For the failover MS says that restore any unrestored log files from the primary database to the secondary database and bring the secondary database up. My Question here is. What if my last log file is restored or the server where the primary database resides is unavailable due to some hardware or OS failure?

2. I have brought my secondary up restoring the last log file from the primary server. Now MS says that to again change the primary server to what it was it says to backup the database in secondary and restore it in primary and reconfigure the logshipping. Is this true are there no other alternatives to this?

3. What happened to the old procedures that were available with SQL Server 2000 that we used to do the role change? I find they are not available in 2005.

looking for answers to enrich myself thanks for all.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Hi,

I find no answer for this. I even posted the same in MSDN and there was none to answer. Have i asked a question that was wrong? Anyways after much reading in the internet, few books and microsoft document and doing some research with system procedures i feel what i understood is right. There are no procedures to do the role change in 2005 and you have to do it in SSMS.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Even I tried looking for the same info few months ago but I couldn't. Is that Microsoft deprecating this feature (or) would like to get more robust in future versions. Don't know what Microsoft recommends. Microsoft says NO COMMENT on this 🙂

Thanks-Mubeen

• Yes thats is true no role change stored proc available in 2005 and it sucks. i dont know why MS wold do that. if you faile over and wna to fail back you have to do whole thing from scratch and thats pain when database size is 250 GB.

:crazy: :alien:

Umar Iqbal

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply