Log Shipping Failover

• I have succeeded in confusing myself this morning (not a hard thing to do).

In case of failover, while using log shipping, how does the naming convention work? Should our log shipped database have the same name as the production? (I believe that line of thought is my problem.) Since SQL Server takes the name of the server for part of the instance name, how does that work?

The problem developers have in-bedded connection string in a couple hundred configuration files. There are only a couple main programs but the processes to do the data manipulation in the background causes the issue.

I am thinking of suggestion a different strategy to management. Would mirroring have the same problem of different names?

I hate Mondays.

Thank you,

• djj (3/16/2015)

In case of failover, while using log shipping, how does the naming convention work? Should our log shipped database have the same name as the production?

A log shipped secondary database does not have to have the same name as the primary

djj (3/16/2015)

Since SQL Server takes the name of the server for part of the instance name, how does that work?

You'll likely need to use CNAME records for aliasing server names.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply