Log Shipping / Backup strategy

• Can some please advise me on a suitable backup plan when incorporating log shipping. Before log shipping, we were using commvault to perform our weekly, nightly and periodic full/log backups.

We are in the process of building our BCP site, and want to devise a backup plan to both handle off-site log shipping backups as well as a suitable on-site backup/restore plan. With the addition of log shipping, it's seems that our current commvault solution goes out the window.

So, how can I perform full backups (with log truncs) and not break log shipping? Or an even simplier question, is it possible to perform a full bakckup at all using a third-party backup vendor (like commvault), or must all backups be incorporated within the maintenance/log shipping plan?

Thanks very much.

• I'm doing a 'roll your own' log shipping. A WMI/Javascript program backs up the logs every 10 minutes and restores them onto the standby server automatically. I'm also taking two full backups every night: one to disk and one to a data vault. (I'd do only one backup but restoring from the data vault is so SLOOOOWWW it's not practical for anything but disaster recovery.)

SO - the answer seems to be that you can mix full and log backups with impunity.

Steve G.

• i'm doing a log shipping every 5 minutes and it runs fine the whole day. its set to run from 6AM to 6PM.  but the next day it fails to apply the backup log on the remote server saying that an earlier LSN can be applied.  in between the log-shipping i am running a full backup of the db.

there's no backup of tran log that has been generated between the last file that has been successfully applied to the db the previous night and the first file that was generated today.

the only thing that happens in between is the full backup of the db that ran around 8:45 PM.

is it connected? 

ann

• bummer, we're shrinking the log file after the full backup.  that must be the one thats screws up the log shipping.......just thinking out loud here......

• Hmmm... you're doing a log backup to shrink the log file? That'll be what's messing up the chain. I set ours to shrink the log automatically with every backup. Since I a) keep the individual log backups for several days and b) have nightly full backups, I can reconstruct the database if for some weird reason I loose both the main and the standby databases. Doing this also ensures that my log backups are VERY small & quick to take and reload so the every 10 minutes backup doesn't impact my production system.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply