log shipping and transaction log

• Hi there, i m a newbie here . at the moment work like to set up log shipping between the production server. currently we are running transaction log backup. what's the best practice, to run both in parallel or just the log shipping ? will the log shipping interfere the backup ? and if i m keep both running in the same time (is that a bit redundant, or both transaction log backup and log shipping will affect each other) .

thanks for all your help

Ray

• If you're doing log shipping, you cannot have anything else backing up the logs. If you do, then as soon as that other task backs the log up, log shipping will break. Log backups form a chain, to restore elsewhere (as with log shipping) you need all of them, not half of them,

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Transaction log backups are an important part of log shipping. Digest the info in books online and post back if you're still stuck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• thanks guys , i have a read . from the bol (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190440.aspx), if i am running the log shipping and transaction log in the same time . as the log shipping started from the first full backup and then it will start from the chain of log back up (if there are multiply log back up, it will break the log chain) which might break the log backup . guys , please let me know if i m understanding it correctly 🙂 .

many thanks guys

Ray

• Sounds like you have it, I'm not sure I completely follow what you wrote.

Log shipping, when set up, creates log backup jobs. Those Must be the only thing backing up the log of that database. If you have your own log backup job as well, it will break the log shipping.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• thanks for answering guys 🙂

• Hey Gail,

I have my Log shipping running and transactional log is shipped to a non-production server for DBCC CHECKDB purposes. My regular log shipping which is hourly is running parallel. My log shipping is still functioning well. Should i consider other methods of copying transactional log ? As it is not recommended to run both trans log backup and log shipping parallel...

• Is it possible that I use the Log shipping backups as my Regular transactional log backup in case of future Restore of Database?

• Your post isn't clear but here goes

if you have a log shipping plan in action, ensure that the only transaction log backups are taken by the log shipping backup job on the primary. If you want to ship the logs to another server besides the current secondary just add a new secondary server and have the logs shipped there too. You can have more than one secondary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hey, thank your for your suggestion.

What i was doing was setting up log shipping which had created an extra log backup job. I already had an existing Transactional log backup job.

As a solution, What i am now doing is just removing the old trans log backup job and settle with the Log-shipping log backups job as my ONLY ONE TRANS BACKUP.

Now my question is, Can these trans log backup files be used in case of Failure and Restore of the server ? Will these trans log backup be used with my Weekly Full and Daily Diff backups for a Restore ?

Please suggest.

thanks.

• sdpages (11/30/2012)

Will these trans log backup be used with my Weekly Full and Daily Diff backups for a Restore ?

Please suggest.

thanks.

yes, the log backups taken by the LS backup job would be used to restore the database in an emergency.

• sdpages (11/30/2012)

Can these trans log backup files be used in case of Failure and Restore of the server ? Will these trans log backup be used with my Weekly Full and Daily Diff backups for a Restore ?

Yes and yes. They're normal log backups. Nothing special about them.

Gail Shaw

• Thanks guys...

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply