Log Shipping--Agent Can't Run Job--Errors not logged

• Hi All: I have two sql2008 R2 std servers in the same domain...server and Agent running under domain user accounts.

Configured two shared folders on primary and secondary, gave "modify" permissions to domain users.

I run through the t-log shipping wizard on the primary, with the option to copy/restore the primary dB to the secondary.

After clicking "apply" on wizard, the dB is backed up, then restored to the secondary, and no errors. The backup file is written to the shared folder on the primary without a problem, and it's picked up by the secondary and restored there.

After this first operation, however, the scheduled backup job fails. If I try to manually run the job from sqlAgent, I receive an error after about 15 secs on the second "execute" step, with a message to "see the history log for details". No log is written to the local, shared directory specified in the job.

In the MSDB on the primary, I see the job details in the "log_shipping_primary_databases" table, but there's nothing in the "log_shipping_monitor_error_detail" or "log_shipping_monitor_history_detail" tables.

On the secondary, the copy and restore jobs are happily running with no errors...but there's no t-logs for them to pickup and restore!

Is this a permissions issue between the sqlAgent user account and SQL Server on the primary? It seems like agent can't communicate with the primary at all.

• sqlnoobie (1/3/2011)

Is this a permissions issue between the sqlAgent user account and SQL Server on the primary? It seems like agent can't communicate with the primary at all.

Sounds right. I'm not sure why you're not seeing errors, but the initial wizard (if I remember correctly) runs under your security context, and then the automated jobs run under the SQL Agent's.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (1/3/2011)

sqlnoobie (1/3/2011)

Sounds right. I'm not sure why you're not seeing errors, but the initial wizard (if I remember correctly) runs under your security context, and then the automated jobs run under the SQL Agent's.

Thanks...that would make sense...just not sure why no errors are appearing anywhere...not in the sql or agent logs, not in the system or application event logs...nada?

I even created a new basic domain user and used it for the sqlAgent service, but it didn't work. I then elevated that user to a domain admin, and it still didn't work, just the same non-specific error:

"Execution of the job 'LSBackup_testdatabase' failed. See the history log for details."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply