Log shipping

• Hi

I have my logshipping server A(primary server) and B and db x is in logshipping

I need to take full backup of db 'x' .whether it cause prblem in log shipping ?.Kindly explain.

• presumably you mean backing of db x on primary server. Taking a full backup will not affect logshipping. The fact a full backup has been done is recorded in the log but it does not break the log chain, you can restore log backups 'through' a full backup. i.e.

if you take a log backup at 2pm and 4 pm and a full backup at 3 pm you would be able to restore the log backups without restoring the 3 pm full backup.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi

Thanks for the reply.I need to confirm one more thing.Where I can restore 3 pm full backup and 4 pm tlog backup .

• binu.ma (11/14/2008)

Hi

Thanks for the reply.I need to confirm one more thing.Where I can restore 3 pm full backup and 4 pm tlog backup .

sorry, not sure i understand the question

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• binu.ma (11/14/2008)

Hi

Maybe. If you took another log backup between 3PM and 4PM, then you need to restore it before restoring the 4 PM log backup. If you didn't take any log backup between the full backup that was done as 3 PM and the log backup that was done at 4 PM, then you should be able to use it.

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• FULL backups do not effect the Log Shipping thats in place.

But if you do not want to affect anythig else try using 'COPY_ONLY' clause in your BACKUP DATABASE command.

hope it helps,

_Ub

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply