log shipping

• I tried create log shipping between two servers but wizard exit after backup on second step with message: server has been disconected. wizzard don't created jobs. I tried find solution on web but I don't find anything. So I'm tried create log shipping with sql backup utility from Red Gate. It is created jobs on both servers but job om secondary server after restoring LOG exit with error: Executed as user: EMEA\malis. SQL Backup job failed with exitcode: 220 SQL error code: 0 [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000). The step failed.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I get the same error.

2 Windows 2003 Servers running SQL Server 2005 and Red Gate's latest.

Researching now...

• one of the initial steps in setting up log shipping is to disable (i.e., remove) any existing backup(s).  This is to include maintenance plans and/or 3rd party backup.  I know so many people who have tried to do log shipping and failed, and they never seem to have understood this requirement.

I can't exactly tell you why this is required, other than to say that log shipping accesses the logs, and so do backup solutions.  I also can't tell you for sure at what point you can start/restart a backup on a DB that has its' logs shipped, as I have never done it.  It doesn't make sense that you can't backup the database if you are doing log shipping.  Perhaps the solution is to put the backup on the "receiving" database? <rhetorical question>

My current client has both maintenance plans and Veritas agents doing backups... and the Veritas piece wasn't even obvious, and I wasn't told... I just "discovered" it...  Log shipping was failing all over the place, and one of the agents was throwing three errors a minute into the SS logs and Application Event log...

My guess?  disable all backups and try again.  (both you AND me)  We moved on to transactional replication instead of fixing log shipping - so I won't get to test my theory here.

David

Thank-you,
    David Russell
    Any Cloud, Any Database, Oracle since 1982

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply