Log-Shipping 14420 Errors

• A couple days ago we started getting these 14420 errors. Log-shipping is actually up-to-date, but the monitor seems to think the txlog backups have not been occurring. I've found numerous posts over last several years asking about same situation, I just wanted to post here what we found was the cause in our case, and how we resolved it.

We believe this started when we added a new SPN to the SQL Server. We had to do this as part of an SCCM 2007 R2 installation, where SCCM stores data on this (existing) SQL server. In our test environment we saw no negative impact due to adding the SPN. But in prod it appears to have broken some of the security associated with the linked server setup by log-shipping.

Initially we just scripted out that linked server, and then dropped & recreated it. No dice, same symptoms as before. Next we edited the linked server, adding explicit security mappings for the SQLAgent account (which runs the LS backup jobs on this server, which presumably attempt to report status to the LS Monitor server). That worked! The next time all the LS Backup jobs ran on the primary, the LS Monitor report showed all was well again.

I don't have any other linked servers on that box, so don't know if adding the SPN would have broken them too. Possibly. The linked-server setup by Log-Shipping did not have any explicit security mappings, all connections used the 3rd radio button "Be made using the login's current security context."

That's it.

• Good info, thanks Mike.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply