Log Reader process could not execute sp_replcmds..

• Morning Everyone,

We have sites in four states with a simple primary-secondary server setup. In two of the states we have NT 4 and SQL Server 7. Transactional replication writes daily work to the secondary server. (It is used as an archive.)

All of these SQL 7 machines have had SP4 applied. Yesterday, I noticed that the one in NC was having errors on the Log reader. Something along the lines of 'current license does not allow agent to be run at the publisher.'

All of these boxes have been in service for over two years with SQL Server 7 Standard Edition licensing.

This morning I log in and replication is completely down with what was a successfully linked server now unable to see the other machine. The log reader times out with 'unable to execute sp_replcmds.'

I have looked at the knowledge base for answers and nothing that came up was helpful. We don't have text or image fields.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Richard Dawson

r.l.dawson@usa.net

ICQ# 867490

Richard L. Dawson

Database Admin/Developer

ICQ# 867490

Richard L. Dawson
    Microsoft Sql Server DBA/Data Architect

I can like a person. People are arrogant, ignorant, idiotic, irritating and mostly just plain annoying.

• We used to get the license error if we deleted the logreader job without stopping the log reader agent first. I'd recommend a restart of SQL Agent. On the timeouts that can happen if you have a very large transaction that won't post quickly. One of many reasons.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply