log growth

• My properties are set to 10% file growth; restricted File Growth.  I want to change it to unrestricted file growth. 

Does anyone know how to do this?

I tried just changing it within the properties section of the database but as soon as I refresh and go back in the properties change back to restricted growth.

Thanks in advance.

• Try the following in query window...

ALTER DATABASE [db name] MODIFY FILE ( NAME = N'Log file name', MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED)

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• If the Drive has enough space, you can give UNLIMITED in the maxsize or in the same drive if you have many database data and log files you can restrict the file growth. It is all depends on your requiement. The file growth default is 10%, you can change according to your transaction basis.

ALTER DATABASE Test_DB MODIFY FILE ( NAME = N'Log Logical file name', MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH=250MB)

Above example says, MAXSIZE is UNLIMITED and FILEGROWTH is 250MB, this is suitable if the drive space more.

ALTER DATABASE Test_DB MODIFY FILE ( NAME = N'Log Logical file name', MAXSIZE = 3000MB, FILEGROWTH=250MB)

Here, MAXSIZE is 3GB and FILEGROWTH is 250MB, this is suitable if you wants to restrict the growth of the file. Once the threshold exeed you can create new log file in another drive or whereever you want.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply