Log Growing Pains

• Let's keep in mind that the query I provide for recording the size is for SQL 2005 and 2008 (as stated in the article). To make this work on SQL 2000, you would have to use the script (or something of that nature) that Raj provided in his second post to this thread.

That said, go ahead and continue to digress 😉

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Paul White (3/11/2010)

No. I prefer Jason's approach. Logging every small transaction is just pointless in the context of this article, as I have made clear already. You will just make it harder to find the information you need if and when a crisis occurs.

Good point. As the method currently is, and depending on volume - there may already be plenty of information to sift through to find the offending code.

BTW, it might be nice if you acknowledged the efforts made by the author in putting this article together.

Thanks again. 😎

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/11/2010)

Let's keep in mind that the query I provide for recording the size is for SQL 2005 and 2008 (as stated in the article). To make this work on SQL 2000, you would have to use the script (or something of that nature) that Raj provided in his second post to this thread.

That said, go ahead and continue to digress 😉

[troll] Does anyone use 2000 any more? [/troll]

Sadly, I cannot digress much longer - I have to review your review of my article, Jason. Back later, perhaps.

• Paul White (3/11/2010)

Does anyone use 2000 any more?

Sadly, I cannot digress much longer - I have to review your review of my article, Jason. Back later, perhaps.

Unfortunately, I recently took ownership of a lot of 2000 boxes. I guess I should work out a solution for them too 😉

I won't be back for several hours - I need to get some sleep sometime before the workday begins.:doze:

Learn Extended Events

• @paul-2,

I am not really all that concerned about how you run your databases.

You said yourself it was a digression - and therefore not related to the article under discussion.

One thing I fail to understand is your questions about my digression are ok. But my replies arent. 🙂 . No problem. I have met people like this, and I am sure I will.

• No. I prefer Jason's approach. Logging every small transaction is just pointless in the context of this article, as I have made clear already. You will just make it harder to find the information you need if and when a crisis occurs.

BTW, it might be nice if you acknowledged the efforts made by the author in putting this article together.

@jason,

Apologies Jason for not acknowledging on time. It was a good article. But, I have tried a similar thing before and I did do a few changes to what you have posted which I was trying to point out.

• @paul-2,

You also do not mention why the work-arounds in the KB articles will not work for you.

Workarounds do work. But they are temporary and the issue can re occur on the same database and also on some other databases. Again apologies sir for digressing. But I had no choice.

• arr.nagaraj (3/11/2010)

Workarounds do work. But they are temporary and the issue can re occur on the same database and also on some other databases.

Nonsense. The issue, workarounds, and permanent fixes are perfectly clear.

I would encourage you to check what product versions you are actually running.

If you struggle with this task, hire a professional consultant.

• arr.nagaraj (3/11/2010)

One thing I fail to understand is your questions about my digression are ok. But my replies arent. 🙂 . No problem. I have met people like this, and I am sure I will.

It might pay you to be less sensitive. I am just saying that I am not interested in the details of how you run your databases. I might do things differently, but none of that is relevant to the article. You brought it up, as a digression. I have read what you have to say, and made my comments. You will meet people in life who don't agree with you, and maybe know more than you do.

• It might pay you to be less sensitive.

Genuinely agree. Thanks for the advice.

I am just saying that I am not interested in the details of how you run your databases. I might do things differently, but none of that is relevant to the article. You brought it up, as a digression. I have read what you have to say, and made my comments. You will meet people in life who don't agree with you, and maybe know more than you do.

Agreed. I was replying to the question you raised and I felt my reply was certainly relevant to your question. Let us agree to disagree on this one.

Thanks.

• You are welcome. 😎

• Nonsense. The issue, workarounds, and permanent fixes are perfectly clear.

I would encourage you to check what product versions you are actually running.If you struggle with this task, hire a professional consultant.

Product versions are fine (sp2 + cu 11) as said already. The steps I mentioned are performed as a precautionary measure. Thanks for your help. 🙂

• Nice article Jason. I'll be interested in what you find from Event Notifications.

• Hello,

I tried creating the runninSqlStatements stored procedure and it gives me a syntax error on this line:

CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(er.sql_handle) as qt

with this error:

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Procedure RunningSQLStatements, Line 9

Incorrect syntax near '.'.

Here is the entire sql I'm using:

Create Procedure RunningSQLStatements

as

Begin

Insert Into AuditTSQL (LoginName,SPID,DBName,ParentQuery,Wait,Program,HostName,StartTime,InsertedTime)

SELECT sp.loginame as [UserName],sp.spid as SPID , DB_NAME(sp.dbid) ,qt.text ,wait_type ,sp.program_name ,Hostname ,start_time ,convert(varchar(19),GETDATE(),120)

FROM sys.dm_exec_requests er

INNER JOIN sys.sysprocesses sp ON er.session_id = sp.spid

Inner Join sys.dm_exec_sessions es On er.session_id = es.session_id

CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(er.sql_handle) as qt

WHERE es.is_user_process = 1

AND er.session_Id NOT IN (@@SPID)

ORDER BY sp.dbid, sp.loginame

End

Thanks,

Mike

• Jason,

Thanks for a good article, I enjoyed reading it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply