Log file is full

• I got an email saying that the logfile is full on your disk which is also full. It is a production server.

So what are the steps to take to reduce the log size?

Thanx

• You need to perform a transaction log backup. You should also put maintenance plans in place to ensure your recoverability and to prevent the log from growing, so large. You should set up 1 maintenance plan for full backups and another for t-log backups. Schedule them as often as you need to satisfy business requirements.

• Keep in mind that the log backup will free up space INSIDE of the transaction log, so that the DB can continue to log activity. This will NOT give the free space back to the OS.

You may need to run a DBCC SHRINKFILE against the log if you in fact need to reclaim some space for the OS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• You may need to run a DBCC SHRINKFILE against the log if you in fact need to reclaim some space for the OS.

Correct, thanks for pointing this part out. I got too caried away with the backup process. 🙂

Gary keep in mind that if you are performing regular transaction log backups there is not going to be a real need to always shrink your log files. You will have to do so this time to give the storage back to the file system.

• thanx a lot....

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply