Lock request time out period exceeeded

• Hello room,

I setup transaction replication with PUSH on the following environment:

--- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 SP4 (Publishers and a local distributor)

--- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 SP1 (A subscriber)

The initial snapshot completed and the distributor is still running and moving data to Subscriber.

When I tried to expand the subscriber database tables in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio , the table can not expand and prompted error of

Lock request time out period exceeded (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 1222).

Also, I executed the select top 5 columns name from table name.

It took a long time ...and never return a result.

Can anyone help and advice.

Thanks,

Edwin

• This is probably because you have both the Distributor and Publisher in the same Server. It is fighting for resource since it does not have much and has to share. That is probably why your server is bogged down.

-Roy

• Roy,

I saw some activities on Replication Monitor that showed Distributor to Subscriber History tab

such as:

--- Table A 100000 row(s) copied Total 12800000

--- Bulk copying data into table A

--- Bulk copied data into table B (0 rows)

Should the data push over from Publisher to Subscriber?

Thanks,

Edwin

• That is the Snapshot running. Wait for all the tables inserted. After that it wont be that sluggish. But still you will face performance issues when there are lots of Data changes on the publisher since the distributor has to send it over to the subscriber.

IO might become a bottleneck

-Roy

• I have over 100 GB database size that transfer over T1 line bandwidth.

Can you give me some light on how long it will take?

How to calculate?

• T1 transfers around 1.5 Mbps. And you have over 100 GB to transfer. I do not know the exact calculation but if someone else is using the same T1, the max you can get goes down. Are the two locations very far off? What is the latency between the two points? If it is not two far, you could have done initialization with Back Up rather than doing it using Snapshot

-Roy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply