Location Data Is Not Anonymous

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Location Data Is Not Anonymous

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• At a minimum, don't allow a mobile phone app the see location data unless it really needs it (ie: web browsers, hotel reservations, social media, etc.). Sure, there may be some marginal benefit in specific situations for the app to know your location, but really those features are mostly fluff. Also, even for apps that actually need GPS (ie: Maps, Uber, etc.), there is no need to let it access your location when the app is not open.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell wrote:

At a minimum, don't allow a mobile phone app the see location data unless it really needs it (ie: web browsers, hotel reservations, social media, etc.). Sure, there may be some marginal benefit in specific situations for the app to know your location, but really those features are mostly fluff. Also, even for apps that actually need GPS (ie: Maps, Uber, etc.), there is no need to let it access your location when the app is not open.

The article, if I am not mistaken, implies mainly that our locations are tracked and recorded by the mobile phones providers' masts, kept forever or sold out to the highest bidder. Switching location off (in my case it is never on anyway) does not solve this problem.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  BOR15K.
  • Location data isn't preventing tracking, as they track the towers you use. If you have location off, you reduce their accuracy as GPS data isn't available, but you are still tracked.

• The thing about it, the worst type of criminals are smart enough to turn off their phone or better yet leave it at another location - before they do something for which they don't want to be linked.

Investigator: "Where you on the afternoon of Jan 6 between two and six?"

Suspect: "I was at lake Smith fishing."

Cell tower and GPS data confirm his story.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply