Locating a new Sql Server...

• It seems that many applications these days use either the desktop engine (MSDE) or SQL Server Express as their db engine of choice. How do other DBA's on this list handle locating new Engines showing up on their network, and more importantly what type of policy do you have for making sure these are all up to date w/ security patches?

Thanks,

Francisco

-- Francisco

• Check SQLCMD/osql utility with L switch

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Wow, that is so cool!

Thanks for the help

If I may ask what type of support policy do you employ in your environment, when new SQL servers (be it desktops) show up on your network?

-- Francisco

• I prefer the "freak out and yell at people" method when a new one is discovered.

That way, people become a bit more afraid of installing software.

• Ha ha ha, I guess that is one way to guarantee that they will stop installing new software. I've thought about having our network admin setting setting some sort of group policy that prevents these engines from running unless they are given rights by the admin, that way the software wouldn't show up w/o the IT dept knowning....

other thoughts???

-- Francisco

• I prefer the "ignore them and let the server admins worry about it" approach.

If people with their own instance of SQL Server come to me with a problem, I tell them they installed it, so they support it.

• I realize that, I care less about the user's experience on rouge SQL Engines, because they created their own mess instead of using the dev servers for test and production servers for live, except if you are to be hit with some sort of next gen blaster worm, they will all point to me and ask why I didn't take the time to patch the many machines. So, if there are to be multiple SQL Engines, what must I and my IT dept do as policy to help prevent some future outbreak.

--

Francisco

-- Francisco

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply