Localhost Image in Report

• I have a few dozen reports with a logo embedded in them. I'm working on changing that to a file path, instead of an embedded image, because it's being updated on all reports, and will be updated again in the near futre. I'd rather change one file than change dozens of reports.

I can get the UNC path for an image to work if I name a specific server and fileshare. I can't get it to work with a "localhost" style UNC path.

Doesn't work:

file:\\localhost\ssrsimages\filename.bmp

file:\\c:\ssrsimages\filename.bmp

Does work:

file:\\servername\ssrsimages\filename.bmp

It's the first time I've played with this feature in SSRS, and I'm running into a brick wall on this one point.

I would prefer to have the dev copies of the reports point at an image store on the dev server, and production at production, so localhost would be ideal for this.

I've tried Bing and Google for this, but can't seem to come up with a search that gets any meaningful results. BOL's examples don't really go into this, so far as I can see.

Anyone have any suggestions?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• You could add your image to the SSRS styles folder but it comes with limited options. The other option is to create a master header that is called in all reports. Check the thread below for more about the SSRS styles folder.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic805409-150-1.aspx?Highlight=SSRS+logo+styles+folder

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thank you. That helps.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Gus, we just upload an image to the root of the reportserver, then use ../logo.jpg as the URL (passed to the header by making it a hidden report parameter, and using =Parameters!ImageURL.Value for the value of the external source)

I'm actually using Barry King's method for all styling, which keeps my settings in the db, so I can change things from there (other than the logo image, which would require a new upload to the reportserver)

See his post[/url] for more info

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply