Local Storage in AWS

• Afternoon everyone,

My company is moving a system into AWS and I've been told (by various people) that the databases should be hosted on the local SSDs instead of EBS storage. Should mention that we're going to use SQL running on VMs instead of RDS.

I can see the advantage of this (just), the local SSDs are a lot faster but my concern is that if the instance (for any reason) is stopped and restarted, then all the data on the drives can be lost.

For me, this risk is too great. I'd rather have the SQL data and log files on EBS storage, pay the performance penalty but guarantee that the databases will be there if the instance is stopped and restarted.

Has anyone out there stuck their database on the local SSD storage? If so, have you had any problems?

Would really like to here from someone who's worked with AWS instances for a while, your advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

• Hi,

If you put your databases on Ephemeral storage on EC2 instance, then you will lose all your data on that storage after instance restarting. One solution will be to made full recovery backup plan of your databases and put backups (FULL, DIFF and LOG) to Amazon S3 so you can do restore and recovery after instance restarting, but for me, you risk too much again.

When you creating Amazon EC2 instance you can choose various types of EBS, and for your purpose you can choose EBS Provisioned IOPS (SSD).

If your company don't have enough money for that type of EBS,then use magnetic EBS and put your tempdb on Ephemeral storage (that will not help you with performance if you have log fragmentation and index problems). For me that is win win combination.

And dont foret to do snapshots of instance and save them to the S3 buckets.

I hope this helps.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Data Platform

• SQLHeisenberg (8/4/2015)

Hi,

If you put your databases on Ephemeral storage on EC2 instance, then you will lose all your data on that storage after instance restarting. One solution will be to made full recovery backup plan of your databases and put backups (FULL, DIFF and LOG) to Amazon S3 so you can do restore and recovery after instance restarting, but for me, you risk too much again.

When you creating Amazon EC2 instance you can choose various types of EBS, and for your purpose you can choose EBS Provisioned IOPS (SSD).

If your company don't have enough money for that type of EBS,then use magnetic EBS and put your tempdb on Ephemeral storage (that will not help you with performance if you have log fragmentation and index problems). For me that is win win combination.

And dont foret to do snapshots of instance and save them to the S3 buckets.

I hope this helps.

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Yep, losing the data was my concern so I'm going to use the general provisioned storage (I want to use the bursting capabilities) for the data/logs and use the ephemeral storage for tempdb.

The only thing I have found with this is not to specify the ephemeral storage as the location for tempdb on install. Otherwise SQL changes the permissions on the drive and you'll lose access. This happens as you have to use the root of the drive as all folder structures will be lost too.

I experimented with using SQL on a delayed start and having a start-up task to re-create the folders but that turned out to be a very (very, very, very) bad idea. So I'll use the root of the drive, that drive won't be used for anything else.

• Excellent choice, you will have quite good performance.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Data Platform

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply